Author Topic: BUCHAN (Bisset) - Cairnbulg  (Read 1315 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUCHAN (Bisset) - Cairnbulg
« on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
Family were from Cairnbulg, nr Fraserburgh and as sthere were many Buchan families in the village, our family was known as the (Bisset) Buchans, and despite trying to find reason for the Bisset connection have been unable to do so, does anyone know of this family and the connection with the Bissets

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: BUCHAN (Bisset) - Cairnbulg
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
When posting queries, it is strongly recommeded to give as much information as you can about the people you are looking for. Like full names and approximate dates. This helps RootsChatters (a) to home in on the right sources and (b) to avoid duplicating work and finding information you have already got.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 16:30 BST (UK) »
George Bisset Buchan Christened 12 th Dec 1839    Father   Alexander Buchan   Mother  Ann Duthie

also George Bisset Buchan born 1881 who married Ann Lyall on 23rd  June 1863

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
From a brief skirt around, the George Bisset Buchan who married Ann Carle Lyall on 23 Jun 1863 was the son of Alexander Buchan and Ann Duthie (m. 19 Oct 1837, Rathen).

Ann Carle Lyall was the daughter of Isobel Duthie (who I think was Ann Duthie's sister), and her second husband, Gordon Lyall. Isobel's first husband was George Bisset (they were married on 12 Apr 1827 in Rathen) - it looks like he died some time between 1832 and 1841, so I would guess George Bisset Buchan (who was born in 1839) was named after him. I've seen this quite a few times in my own tree, where a child is named after the spouse of one of the parents' siblings.

You'd need to do a bit more digging around to be sure - there are a LOT of Duthies and Bissets in Inverallochy in the 1841 census - but that's what the relationships look like to me. Isobel Lyall (nee Duthie, formerly Bisset) died in 1887, and her death record confirms her first husband was George Bisset.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.