Author Topic: Family Tree Maker FTM 2005 can't back up family file  (Read 3119 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker FTM 2005 can't back up family file
« on: Thursday 14 April 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
I've been using the 2005 version for years now. Recently, when I go to close the program, it says that it can't back up my family file. This is strange because I have another tree on the programme and it always backs that one up.

Also, for years now, I've been writing a book using the facility on there. But when I go to preview it, the program crashes.
Any ideas as to why?

I'm running win 10 if that's any help.
Thanks all
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2005 problems!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
I am no tecchie, and others of that style might have better solutions. I assume your program ran OK in earlier versions of windows? If so, you might like to consider the following course.
1) Download and install VM ware or another free virtual computer.
2) Install XP on the virtual computer (Later versions are more difficult to install on W10)
3) Use your program as before.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I assume that you have CURRENT + FULL backups of all of your work?
On separated drives external to your computer?

What other backups can you create?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
FTM 2005 wasn't considered compatible with windows 10 - One possibility is to see if it runs any better using compatability mode in Windows 10 before trying the Virtual Machine route.

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I've managed to back up my tree to CDROM. For some reason, it just won't back up automatically when I close the programme. It does for my other family tree file but not for my main one.
Also, about previewing my book. If I click on preview, it will start loading the pages, then it will say family tree Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Maybe when it gets to a certain page, it doesn't like it?
Don't know what could be causing the problem
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
I too use FTM 2005.  It runs well under Windows 7, but it is long out-of-support and may well have issues with Windows 10.  I vaguely recall there was an issue with FTM Books regarding the SIZE of the book.  Is it possible you have recently increased the book size?  Also, the "Save as PDF" functions in FTM 2005 broke with Windows 7. If the Book requires PDFs that could be an issue.

As regards backups, of course, you can backup the FTM files using any backup tool, or even just take manual copies to CD, Memory stick, or Cloud (preferably all three).
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
I too use FTM 2005.  It runs well under Windows 7, but it is long out-of-support and may well have issues with Windows 10.  I vaguely recall there was an issue with FTM Books regarding the SIZE of the book.  Is it possible you have recently increased the book size?  Also, the "Save as PDF" functions in FTM 2005 broke with Windows 7. If the Book requires PDFs that could be an issue.

I haven't done any work on my book for ages. Don't think there's any PDF files in there. Only ftm charts and JPEGs.

I have got family tree Maker 2011 but I can't get on with it. I really like the family view on the 2005 version.

Which version, if any, more closely resembles 2005?