Author Topic: Edwin Henry HOOKER (1883 - ????)  (Read 6706 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Henry HOOKER (1883 - ????)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 April 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
I can't find anything on Ancestry or FindMyPast, so you could well be right. I've found quite a few Surrey baptism and marriage images so far, but sadly not a particular marriage I would really like.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 April 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
I think a visit to Surrey History Centre might be worth your while. A good day out! Or short break away.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 April 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
I think a visit to Surrey History Centre might be worth your while. A good day out! Or short break away.

Cliff Webb, whose a pretty good authority on Surrey records, says in this guide - http://www.wsfhs.co.uk/assets/documents/researchaids/RA11%205th%20Ed%202007.pdf - that few BTs for Surrey exist.  If you are making a special journey to Woking, I'd double check that they have any you require as I suspect you may be disappointed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:48 BST (UK) »
Asylum records, if they have any, would be worth a good browse. Again, check first to see if they have any.  And check what church/chapel the asylum generally used - to see if there does happen to be a christening of a child of Maria there on the actual PR's.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
Asylum records, if they have any, would be worth a good browse. Again, check first to see if they have any.  And check what church/chapel the asylum generally used - to see if there does happen to be a christening of a child of Maria there on the actual PR's.

Good one Liz!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
As he was born in Egham which is on the border with Berkshire, he could have been baptised over the border.  Have you tried checking the Berkshire parishes close to Egham?  I don't think any have been transcribed by Berks FHS but they would be at the Archives at Reading.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if it's likely that Edwin could have been given to the Coram foundation? What would have been the oldest age at which they'd have been likely to accept someone?

Aside from ruling out a number of possible suspects, I am still no further along with this; it's the only major brick wall in my research.

I am just confused as to how Edwin seems to have completely disappeared, and doesn't even appear to have been baptized. Having been unable to find any record of his marriage or death (I've also checked Irish and Scots records, just in case) I'm wondering if he was adopted/given away at some point after the 1891 census -- possibly because his father couldn't or didn't want to look after him, and obviously Maria was in an asylum and unable to do so.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 March 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Did you get to the bottom of this?

Have you tried searching hospital census records for the missing dates - i found one of my ancestors that way, after he was recovering from smallpox!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 March 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
I didn’t see this thread at the time, but Matilda Doe, 41, “servant” in the 1891 Hooker household with what are presumably her two teenage sons also there, would have been my prime suspect for Edwin’s true mother, with Henry Hooker as the father.

1891: RG12/1009/124/21

She is still with Henry in 1901 as a “housekeeper” while her lawful husband Charles Doe (born 1838 Egham, a printer and publisher) is alive throughout, dying in Kingston in 1924.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)