Author Topic: The Lofthouse/Coulson Family  (Read 1254 times)

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Lofthouse/Coulson Family
« on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for any information regarding the Lofthouse/Coulson family who arrived on the ship Haidee's around 1850. I am a living relative on the Lofthouse side trying to complete our family tree. Any help would be gratefully received, thank you.
Regards
Mike
Fletcher, Lofthouse, Tressider, Dale, McAllister, Beaton, McInnes, Comrie

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: The Lofthouse/Coulson Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
Geni.com has the Haidee Settler Project

https://www.geni.com/projects/Haidee-Settlers-Project/10500

Had a look at it and there is quite a bit of information on Lofthouse. Not sure if you have that already.

An interesting site about the Haidee settlers as well as the layout of the town of York where they settled showing Lofthouse and Coulson plots and a passenger list for the Haidee just use the link buttons to navigate around the site.

http://sa-passenger-list.za.net/index.php

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 16 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your swift reply regarding the two links for the Haidee's/Lofthouse/Coulson information. Unfortunately, I already have this information, but thank you.

I do have some information on the families who were born in SA but my main problem is finding information on them and their families to present day.

Kind Regards
Mike

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Had you seen
Yorkshire Gazette, 31 Dec 1853
On Sept 22nd, at the Parsonage, D'Urban (sic), Port Natal, South Africa, by the Rev. W H C Lloyd, M.A, colonial chaplain, Mr John Lofthouse, third son of Edward Lofthouse, Esq, of Middleton Grange in this County, to Eliza, second daughter of Mr Brian Coulson, pier contractor, late of Scarborough, also in the County.

Are you only interested in details after their leaving Yorkshire? Pre emigration, The images of the marriage cert of Brian Coulson to Elizabeth Harding at Scarborough, 21 July 1831 and the baptisms of Elizabeth, 1 Mar 1833 and Emma, 3 Mar 1835 can be viewed on line at Find My Past. Also the 1841 Census of this family (children Mary, Eliza, Emma George and Frederick) "fits" the passenger list of the Haidee (Mary J, Eliza, Emma, Louisa, Sarah, John, George, Fred E) 

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you have this too??

There are two births on Family Search for Benjamin and Martha, sons William Seth and Benjamin.
There are images attached to the entries

Link for the marriage Coulson/Lofthouse with image..

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDCK-DTN

Marriages for Mary, Emma and Frederick are also on Family Search together with images

Baptisms for children of John and Elizabeth Lofthouse - George, Anne and Charles also Family Search with images.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 April 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have found the estate file and Death Notice for Frederick Edmund Coulson, parents Brian and Elizabeth Coulson.

If you would like it pm me your email and I'll send it off, it is quite an extensive file..

Grave of Frederick and Charlotte
http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=949542

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 April 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Thank you for both your replies, i did not have this information so thank you for this. I will do some more research this weekend and i will pm you for the extra information sillydogs. I mainly require those who went to SA and their families who were born and stayed there, thank you.
Kind Regards
Mike

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
The policy of Rootschat is not to research living members. I suggest you join the Natal Midlands memories group on FB. I have just been to York where the Haidee settlers lived and have photographed the cemetery and added videos of the town or what is left of it.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Thank you for both your replies, i did not have this information so thank you for this. I will do some more research this weekend and i will pm you for the extra information sillydogs. I mainly require those who went to SA and their families who were born and stayed there, thank you.
Kind Regards
Mike

On the death notices you will find children born or if no legal issue then likely siblings, it will give  you a place to start....