Author Topic: address council houses speen whereabouts?  (Read 732 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
address council houses speen whereabouts?
« on: Thursday 14 April 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
My GT gran lived at 5 council houses in speen in 1930. Does anyone know if this address still exists?

Many thanks
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: address council houses speen whereabouts?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
My o/h can't be sure but seems to think that Council Houses Speen were the council houses on the Lambourn Road.

If you go to google maps and type in 80 Grove Road Newbury you will see Speen Recreation Ground (in green), on the corner of Grove Road, Station Road and Lambourn Road.

(Not sure if you are familiar with using google maps so just in case you aren't) you can go to street view by clicking and holding the little yellow man (found at the bottom right of the screen) and draging and dropping  him onto 80 Grove Road you will then be able to click and move along Grove Road to the Lambourn Road and see the houses.

Chris

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.

I've just had a look. my mum recognised the row of houses. I think number 5 possibly would've been the 3rd house along. The one with a single storey extension on the side. Got a lot of family history in that house. great to see it.
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
I could be wrong but I think that's number 3, it looks like number 5 is two doors down (the 1st house in where the layby starts) if you look you can see number 5 on the recycling green bin outside just before the green car. Presumably because there are no houses on the opposite side of the road the numbers run 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Chris