Author Topic: Fairlaw Coldingham  (Read 1598 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fairlaw Coldingham
« on: Friday 15 April 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just been going back over some certificates that I bought years ago and have noticed a detail that I seem to have missed. My 2x Great Aunt Esther Darling Hepburn 1843-1907 married Peter Aitchison 1835-1903 in 1865. She lived with her family in Prestonkirk and Peter was the son of a farmer at Quixwood, Abbay St Bathans. When they got married Peter and Esther had a farm at West Garleton where 4 of their 5 children were born but the first one, David b.1866 was born at Fairlaw Coldingham. I can't work out if this was a farm or a village and why they would be there. I assume it was before they moved into their farm but I have not noticed the name Fairlaw in the past and now want to find out what it was to them.
Does any one know about this place please, if it is a farm then I can try and find out who was living there.
Thanks
Alison

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fairlaw Coldingham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

On the 1861 census, Fairlaw is showing as a farm. A number of family households there for that census. There is also a reference to Fairlaw House (landed proprietor William Home in residence at that time). It shows as a current map location here http://geobrit.uk/2379994898-fairlaw-farm-scottish-borders-nt856614#.VxDfWXrwyf8

Old post here on RC with a reference to it www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=28530.18

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marysco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
It still is a farm. Near Reston.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, that makes things much clearer. It's kind of you to take the time to help, much appreciated.
Alison

Offline marysco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
You're welcome!