Author Topic: William WRAY (1847?-1908) and Mary Ann WRAY (later HILL then JEWELL) (1849?-1947  (Read 745 times)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello

Wondering if someone could please help with baptism records in Yorkshire.

William WRAY (1847?-1908) and Mary Ann WRAY (later HILL then JEWELL) (1849?-1947) were the first two children of Benjamin WRAY and Mary PENNOCK. Benjamin and Mary were married on 23 November 1847 at the Anglican Parish Church in Great Driffield, Yorkshire. [marriage registration]

Benjamin and Mary arrived in South Australia on 15 June 1850 aboard the Lady McNaughton with two children. The boat having departed Plymouth on 24 February 1850.  [‘Shipping Intelligence’, South Australian Register (Adelaide SA), 17 June 1950 p2.]

Their first child born in South Australia was Susannah WRAY (later JEWELL) (1851-1887).

I tried to obtain civil birth registrations for William and Mary Ann, supplying the parents’ names and likely place of birth (Wetwang or nearby), but the GRO refunded my money as they couldn’t find any registrations. Their births possibly weren’t registered.

No luck on Ancestry but its baptism records do not appear very complete.

Can anyone help with baptism records (and therefore a date of birth) for William and Mary Ann WRAY?  I believe Mary Ann was born 19 June possibly in 1849, based on her birthday noted in a 1946 article.

This follows from a previous post (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736483.msg5823578#msg5823578) where a lot of you provided very helpful information on Benjamin and Mary’s antecedents.

Thank you

Craig
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Craig try this one on An/try
William Pennock   Male
Baptism 11 July 1847 Wetwang With Fimber York England
Father Benjamin Wray
Mother Mary Pennock
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Possible birth registration William Pennock
1847 Driffield Yorkshire
Rosie

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William WRAY (1847?-1908) and Mary Ann WRAY (later HILL then JEWELL) (1849?-1947
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 16 02:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I believe that will be William. I did note in the back of mind when typing how late in 1847 the marriage was (November), so it makes sense that William was illegitimate and under his mother's name.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William WRAY (1847?-1908) and Mary Ann WRAY (later HILL then JEWELL) (1849?-1947
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I believe that will be William. I did note in the back of mind when typing how late in 1847 the marriage was (November), so it makes sense that William was illegitimate and under his mother's name.

Yes I would say this is the same William  :)