Author Topic: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven
« on: Monday 11 April 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
This thread has been split off from the following thread, in which the Osbornes are discussed several times:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=557435.0

I am interested in any connections/information etc about the Osborne family of Ballyhargan/Ballycarrigan near Dungiven (including those of Altmover House).  My ggg grandfather, Samuel Osborne McCausland (1800-1895) was the son of William McCausland and a Miss Osborne of Altmover. 

I’m not sure what Miss Osborne’s name was, but I have heard of one source (family papers in private hands) which have her as a daughter of Samuel C. Osborne and Mary Edwards, and granddaughter of the Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1709-1800). 

Samuel O. McCausland marred Jane Killen in 1825, and they were wed by a different Rev. Joseph Osborne.  This second one lived c1761-1849 and was a Presbyterian minister in Newtownards at the time.

There is some debate on how these two were related.  These two sources disagree on who the second Joseph’s father was.  I’d like to figure out which one is correct…

From George Speer’s tree, apparently taken from “Derry Standard May 1913. Reg. of Deeds. Books 270 p371, 344 p292, 473 p541, 587 p310”:

OSBORNE. The Rev. Joseph Osborne, minister of the old Newtownlimavady church from 1742 to 1800, lived at Drumadreen. His eldest son Samuel by his first wife married Mary, daughter of Dr. Henry Edward Edwards of Straw House, Bovevagh and they had a son, also called Rev. Joseph Osborne, who ministered in Corboy, Scriggan and Newtownards, married Mary Mease and had a daughter Jane who married William Osborne of Altmover House, Dungiven. The first mentioned Rev. Joseph Osborne of Newtownlimavady married again late in life and a great-grandson by this marriage was living in Terrydremond in 1913. They were connected with DODDS Family of Enagh, Limavady.

Posted here by Kingkerswell, taken from “the Presbytery of Limavady” by Julia E Mullin:

" The Rev Joseph Osborne was installed there on 14 Jun 1799. He was the second son of  William Osborne, a merchant in the parish of Bovevagh and his wife was a daughter of Dr. Edwards of Straw House , Bovevagh. The Scriggan minister was a relative of the Rev Joseph Osborne, minister of Newtownlimavady congregation  being either a grandson or a nephew. Educated at Glasgow, he was licensed by the presbytery of Londonderryin 1791 and ordained in Corboy on 16 Mar 1792. He Married Mary Mease of Gortin, Co. Donegal. The marriage settlement, made in March 1794 conveyed the townland of Ballyhargin (sic) to trustees to hold for Mary Mease, the intended wife of Rev Joseph Osborne of Bracklin, Co. Longford.
    On 9 June 1801 Mr Osborne accepted a call from Newtownards Non Subscribing Congregation and he remained a minister there until he retired in 1827. His only child, Jane had married William Osborne of Altmover near Dungiven but she died in 1839 aged only 37 leaving one surviving child. The rev Joseph died at his son-in-law's residence in Altmover on 13 December 1849."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
What I’d like to do now is find the church marriage record (if one survives) because I’d like some proof that Samuel’s father was called William (as recorded by family tradition). 

Most church records for that date (if they survive) only list date of marriage and names of bride and groom. Unfortunately there are quite a few churches in Ballymena.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
Indeed, but it would be remiss of me not to try.

As you say, there are a few churches to choose from, but now I know it was in Ballymena, and I have a date to narrow it down.

I knew my Killens of Ballymena were mostly Presbyterian.  Jane’s brother James Millar Killen was the Presbyterian Minister in Comber, and another brother was the Rev. William Dool Killen, later professor of church history at Assembly’s College.

Rev. Joseph Osborne was also a Presbyterian minister … so I think I can be pretty certain they were married in a Presbyterian Church.  Other than First Ballymena, do you know which other churches were around at the time?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Both James Millar Killen & William Dool Killen were lic. Ballymena. Presbyterian Historical Society, Belfast has copy of the Fasti of the Presbyterian Church which gives details of ministers so it might include their home church.

Only 2 Presbyterian churches in Ballymena itself in 1825 seem to be 1st (William Wauchope minister) and 2nd (High Kirk- William Campbell minister). Marriages in 1st go back to 1825 but 2nd only from 1845.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I guess I’ll hope it was in the First Presbyterian then.

I checked to see where Jane Killen’s siblings were married..

1825 – Edward was married at Ballymena by the Rev. William Stanhope.  I can’t find such a minister in the Presbyterian Society Fasti (thanks for reminding me about that), unless it is the “William Wauchope” who, as you say, was minister of First Ballymena 1812-1827.

1830/1831 – William and Sarah married in Ballymena in 1830 and 1831 respectively, both by the Rev. Alex. Patterson who was the minister of the West Church in Ballymena from 1830-1847.

Is the West Church the 2nd Presbyterian?

There are newspaper accounts in 1877 of a John Killen, an elder in Ballymena First Presbyterian, being given a silver platter before he headed off the Australia.  We have this cutting at home, so I know there’s a connection, though I’m not sure which John Killen it refers to.

So, I’m hopeful S McC and Jane Killen did marry in the First Presbyterian.  I’ll certainly add it to my list for next trip to PRONI (assuming they have the microfilm?).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
Is the West Church the 2nd Presbyterian?
No, 2nd Presbyterian also known as High Kirk.

PRONI have microfilmed records for 1st Ballymena (on several rolls which I think overlap with some parts better than others). Coleraine Library also have the same microfilms.

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Gilby

Laurence Kirkpatrick's book - "Presbyterians in Ireland - An Illustrated History" - shows that the "Rev.William Killen was minister of Raphoe, County Donegal (1829 - 1841) and left to become Professor of Church History in Assembly's College Belfast". 

Earlier in the book it also shows a small photograph of "The Faculty of Presbyterian College c.1863 from left: Prof.W.D.Killen; Prof.J.L.Porter; Prof.H.Cooke(president); Prof.J.Edgar; Prof.W.Gibson; Prof.J.G.Murphy.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey.

Thanks Brown ... that sounds like another book I should get my hands on.  I don't think I've seen that photo (there are a couple of him floating about).

The Rev. W. D. Killen was still at Belfast Inst. at the time his sister married Samuel O. McCausland.  He seemed to do quite well there, winning 'premiums' in several different subjects.  Here's a newspaper notice about his call to Raphoe:

Belfast Newsletter, 14 Aug 1829
Rev. W. D. KILLEN. --- We have great pleasure in stating, that on Monday last, the Rev. W. D. Killen, of Ballymena, was called to the Presbyterian congregation of Raphoe, by the unanimous votes of its members.  There was not on the occasion a single dissenting voice -- the call was given with the utmost cordiality and harmony, a circumstance which cannot but be gratifying to the distinguished young gentleman, who has thus been invited to the ministerial charge of that respectable congregation.  -- Mr. Killen is well known in Belfast, especially at the Institution, where he gained an eminence in the more profound as well as in the lighter departments of science, that has been equalled by but a few. If learning, talents, soundness of religious principle, and excellence of moral character, be recommendations, we can from personal knowledge congratulate the congregation of Raphoe on their choice of Mr. Killen.

I don't suppose the book mentions the Rev. Joseph Osborne of Corboy (1792-9), Scriggan (1799-1802), and Newtownards (1802-27)?  I'd really like to figure out who his father was.  If it was William Osborne he was probably a 1st cousin once/twice removed from Samuel McCausland - if he was the son of Samuel C. Osborne, then he may have been Samuel McCausland's uncle.

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Gilby

The book does not mention the Rev.Joseph Osborne in Corboy (Longford) and Newtownards. However, he is mentioned under both Drumachose and First Limavady - the latter "was born out of strife within Drumachose congregation in 1742. A minority disapproved of Rev.Henry Erskine and, having obtained the deeds of the church building, they ordained Rev.Joseph Osborne under the auspices of the Non-subscribing Presbytery of Antrim".