Author Topic: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven  (Read 7340 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 April 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Brown.  Yes, that’s an earlier Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1709-1800).  I believe he is likely to be my 6xg grandfather.  I posted a little bit about him in the first post of this thread.

Basically, the problem I have is trying to figure out the relationship between him and the later Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1761-1849).

As I see it there are two competing theories, but perhaps neither are correct…

(Theory 1) Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1709-1800) had a son Samuel C Osborne who married Mary Edwards, daughter of Dr. Henry Edward Edwards of Straw House.  Samuel and Mary were the parents of the second Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1761-1849)

(Theory 2) Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1709-1800) had a brother or son called William who married Mary Edwards – and it was they who were the parents of the second Rev. Joseph Osborne (c1761-1849).

Offline rodneycurry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 October 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, my 4Th great grandmother was Ann Osborne approx 1781  Altmover house Ballyharigan, she married Charles McClenaghen . There is a story which I uncovered at a local archive outside of Ottawa Ontario called " The history of Meighen and McLenaghen families by General F.S Meighen of Montreal. A McClenaghen married a Meighen in Perth Ontario. This Meighen family produced Arthur Meighen who was the Prime Minister of Canada for one short year. It is an interesting story, if you would like me to share it. It may clear up a few family lines or it may create further confusion. Apparently Ann was heir to Altmover estate, which the story leads one to believe may have been severed. I would love to know more about the area. I have only been to Ireland once, but did not visit the area as I was very unsure about the true proximity of the Osbornes and the MCClenaghens. My mother's grandmother was Janet Mcclenaghen.

This is my first visit to this site, and my first post, so bear with me please as I learn the protocol

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 October 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Perfectly in line with protocol I think.

I would be very interested in reading more about the Meighan-McLenaghan connection.  I would send you a message with my email but we have to wait till you’ve posted 3-4 times before you can use the private messaging system (and you’re not allowed to post an email address publicly).

Does the document you found say much about Altmover house in Ballyharigan?  Does it mention who Ann’s parents were?

Gilby

Offline rodneycurry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 October 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
The document I mentioned, is in the form of a story. Ann's father according to the author may have been Simon, but I am leaning towards William.  THe reason for my choice of William is the naming of sons by both her daughter and son.I am sending a couple of the paragraphs of what is approx 7 page story, but only the first few pages pertain to the Osborns.

"In the district around Londonderry was a tract known as "Bovea lands" belonging in the 18th century, and probably earlier to a family names Carey. In this tract lived a family named Mclenaghen who leased the lands from the careys. According to the parish records the Mclenaghens had lived there-abouts for many generations, which is proved by a lease from captain Arthur Carey, dated 1726 to Robert Mclenaghen of "Ballycargan"of the whole townland of Ballycargan manor of Pellipan for 21 years. One of the witnesses of this lease was Samuel Osborne. Another lease by Rose, Captain's widow, to Henry Carey, of Lands in Boveva, had as witness Alex Mclenaghen of Dungiven and Robert Mclenaghen of Ballycargen.
Some of the Mclenaghens were schoolmasters and generally were people of superior education.

The Samuel Osborne mentioned above was a member of another family prominent in this district. They were originally English, coming from Leeds in Yorkshire, their name Osborne being the same as the family name of the Dukes of Leeds. Their estate in Ireland was called "Altmover" remained in their possession until the twentieth century, the estate being broken up in 1904.

I will post more from the story, once you reply

Offline rodneycurry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
so, here is a bit of continuation of story.
Anne Osborne, a daughter of the family and heiress to the estate, married probably about 1790, charles Mclenaghan. There was opposition to the marriage by the Osborne family and it was an elopement, Anne Osborne was only 16 at the time, and ran away on a donkey,s back to be married. Her husband was somewhat older than she, and must have been born about 1760. They had a daughter Mary Osborne Mclenaghan, born 1795, and two sons, Nathaniel born 1800 and Charles born 1806, all born in Ireland.
Mary Osborne Mclenaghan was a woman of very high moral character. The superior education of the Mclenaghans showed itself in her purity of diction and innate refinement. She had great self-respect, was affectionate, emotional, and of a very strong family loyalty.

I hope to have someone respond, otherwise I will not continue, as mentioned before I was hoping that someone could help me locate where the families lived, the 1740, 1766, and 1796 returns all point to Ballyharigan

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rodney,

That’s all very interesting – thanks for posting the extract.  This is the second reference I’ve seen suggesting these Osbornes were connected to the Dukes of Leeds.  Unfortunately, I doubt if I’ll ever join up enough dots to claim descent myself.

I wonder if your Anne Osborne was running off to marry her cousin.  The parents of the Rev Joseph Osborne (1709-1800) were supposed to be Samuel Osborne and Mary McLanaghan.  This also fits with Samuel Osborne being a witness to the lease of 1726 from Arthur Carey to Robert McLenaghan.

I think there was a run of William Osbornes at Altmover, so you may be right that one of them was the father of Anne.  I don’t see how it could be correct than Anne was the heiress to the estate though, because as far as I can see there was no shortage of sons in this family.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of records surviving for this area, so I’m not sure where to go from here.  I’ve still not been able to prove that my gggg grandmother “Miss Osborne” was of Altmover.

Perhaps the descendants of the Carey family have estate papers stored somewhere which will someday become available.

Gilby

Offline rodneycurry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:00 BST (UK) »
 remember, this is a story by General F.S.Meighen, so I am assuming he was of truthful nature

so here is some continuation of story, but before the story, I have looked at 1740 protestant households,1766 religious census,and 1796 flax growers, 1831 census to confirm the Osborns and Mcclenaghans were in the vicinity. I did find charles in 1796, which would make sense for his age, and widow Mcclenaghan in 1831. I confer with you that I believe Ann married her cousin.

"If anyone attacked a member of her family, even if such member was not in favour with her, she was up in arms at once.  She was altogether a very superior type of woman.  The sons were very tall men, Nathaniel was dark and Charles fair and they were both of robust physique. They were loyal affectionate and industrious, but of violent temper when aroused. Nathaniel should have inherited the Osborne estate through his mother but, in his early manhood had a violent quarrel with an Osborne which led to blows and believing he had killed Osborne, he had fled the country, coming to Canada in 1830, and did not put in his claim when the time came for it, and the Altmover property, as Nathaniel's whereabouts or even his existence were unknown, passed to a younger branch of the Osbornes. They evidently were always fearful that some one might turn up to claim it. When Nathaniel's son James(Nathaniel was my 3rd gr grandfather) visited Altmover many years ago, a visit simply of curiosity, he was very coldly received and the possessors refused to discuss family history with him, referring him to their DUBLIN SOLICITOR(would it not have been belfast? or Londonderry?) for information he could get from the latter. It seemed as if they were doubtful of their position and to be afraid that James had come to make a claim for the estate

Charles McLenaghan, the younger brother, came to Canada in 1830 and settled at first in Perth. It would be interesting to know what decided him, an Irishman, to come to what was almost an exclusively Scotch settlement.He then sent for his mother, Anne Osborne Mclenaghan, to come and live with him, her husband having died meantime. She did so and lived on the farm until she died at the age of 85 in 1859.

"I am skipping parts of story that are probably of no interest to you"

The old Irish form of the name Meighen is Miadachin. There is a coat of arms, it means    He is stronger who conquers himself"

Mary Osborne Mclenaghan(this is Anne Osbourne's daughter) married Robert Meighen of Dungiven second son of Arthur Meighen and Jane Gordon, on January 24, 1824. This Robert Meighen farmed a holding of the Osborne's which was taken over by one of his brothers after his death on January 2 1838. It remained in the family until recently.  The house in which Robert Meighen and his family lived and where his children were born is still standing( I do not know what year this story was written, would you know if this house is still standing?? and where it would be??, as mentioned my husband and I are planning a trip to Northern Ireland in May, and I would love to take a picture) A photograph shows it to be a well-built roomy house of two stories. Arthur Meighen who married Jane Gordon about 1790 is the earliest name that can be traced in the Meighen family, but very little is known of him and practically nothing of his wife's family.  He was probably born about 1765 in the west of Ireland and was of yeoman class. He came to Boveva some time before his marriage. He had five sons and three daughters, Arthur the eldest. This younger Arthur Meighen was determined to be a soldier. Twice he enlisted and was brought back by his family. The third time they let him go. He was a very tall man standing 6 feet 4 inches and was in the Grenadier company of the 17th Royal Irish Regiment. He went with the British forces to China where he was killed in 1840.

That's it, the rest of the stories pertain to the family in Canada.

So, again, would appreciate if you knew were I could find Altmover estate area.

Debby

Offline George_Speer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 February 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Debby,
Ivan Smyth is the current resident of the Altmover house. 
I can show you images on Google Maps
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5143227#map=15/54.9374/-6.9923

I descendant of Margaret McLenaghan & Samuel Osborne by their son Wm.
George Daniel Speer Sr.
Northern Ireland:  Speer  Phair  Presley  Harper  Armstrong  Edwards  Osborne  Douglas Ledlie  Clark  Smyth  (Hopkins of Swansea, Wales)  and many more...

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 February 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, it looks like I wasn’t very helpful a couple of years ago when Debby was trying to find Altmover!  I must have forgotten to reply.  :-[

In the past week I’ve learned that my 3xg grandfather Samuel Osborne McCausland’s mother was Isabella Osborne, daughter of William Osborne.  This comes from an Osborne family bible.  I’m hoping to find out more in the coming weeks.