Author Topic: Daniel Patrick Murphy, b. 1858; emigrated bef 1893 to America  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Patrick Murphy, b. 1858; emigrated bef 1893 to America
« on: Friday 15 April 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather and great-grandmother Katherine Margarete b. 1868 were born in Dublin, Dublin, according to notes in my baby book.  Their son Joseph Henry Murphy was born Dec 25, 1893 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA.

I will be traveling to Ireland in October and would love to find a cousin living in Dublin.  I will be with my sister and our spouses touring with Rick Steve's Europe for two weeks.

Any help offered or directions given will be appreciated.  I have spent considerable time on Ancestory.com so know some of the pitfalls and misdirections.  I am awaiting DNA responses.

Thank you,
Christy

Online ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Patrick Murphy, b. 1858; emigrated bef 1893 to America
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather and great-grandmother Katherine Margarete b. 1868 were born in Dublin, Dublin, according to notes in my baby book.  Their son Joseph Henry Murphy was born Dec 25, 1893 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA.

I will be traveling to Ireland in October and would love to find a cousin living in Dublin.  I will be with my sister and our spouses touring with Rick Steve's Europe for two weeks.

Any help offered or directions given will be appreciated.  I have spent considerable time on Ancestory.com so know some of the pitfalls and misdirections.  I am awaiting DNA responses.

Thank you,
Christy
  Hello Christy & welcome to Rootschat..  There are various sites in Ireland for research but some more detail is needed.  Do you know if your ggrandparents married in Ireland or USA? Also surname of Katherine Margarite. For Daniel you will have to rely on a Church Baptism record as Civil registration wasnt introduced in Ireland until 1864.
Are you sure they were born in Dublin as I had a look at www.irishgenealogy.ie which has RC Baptism & marriage records for Dublin but they may have originated from County Dublin.
Do you have death records for Daniel & Katherine as there may be details of their parentage on these. Also ref USA what year have they appeared on Censuses there? Rgds

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very speedy reply.

I do not have much more  information than I have provided. 

My mother recorded "Dublin, Dublin" which I have always taken to be Dublin, County Dublin. 

I have self-proclaimed information from my grandfather that he was born in Omaha, Nebraska on Dec 25, 1893.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find confirmation in hospital, county or state records of his birth in that location.  I am making a broad assumption that my ggrandparents came to USA together and have little before 1921 or so that records their residents.

My grandfather met and maybe married my grandmother about 1925 in Los Angeles area, California.  They were later in San Francisco but had separated by 1928.  Daniel and Katherine are recorded as living in SF for several years between 1922 and 1927. 

I have one census for Joseph Henry Murphy about age 7 that records that his mother Katherine McDonald is housekeeper.  No Daniel.

One other recording has Katherine Murphy (wid Danl P) in Illinois in 1924.

So, lots of conflicting information.  I am unable to substantiate any dates of emigration and no census that pinpoints Daniel, Katherine and Joseph.  It might not have been material anyway but the US Census for most states for 1895 was destroyed in a fire in Washington DC.  That might have been helpful, but the point is moot.

Thank you for any pointers you might be able to supply.  I know that Murphy is likely very challenging and Daniel Patrick almost impossible to follow without lots of other information.  I keep hoping that Daniel was part of a family that lived through the 1848 Famine, were shopkeepers or tradesmen who were able to send Daniel and Katherine to America for a better life, and that I will eventually find that their story is heartening.  I'm reading IMMORTAL IRISHMAN now in preparation for a full experience in Ireland later this year.  That Thomas Meagher was able to do what he did with the help of so many other Irishmen gives me hope that my relations had some luck and support themselves.

Thanks again.
Christy

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
The 1890 census was the one that was mostly destroyed by fire, so unfortunately that would have missed Joseph anyway.

Joseph Henry Murphy gives his birth place and date in his Social Security application, so that may have been backed up with some proof provided at the time.  The WWI draft registration card is consistent with that date and puts him in Oklahoma circa 1917.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZZ9-JK4

Have you gotten a copy for Daniel's death certificate?  Or an obituary to see if his parents were mentioned?

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 April 16 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this link and bit of information.  I had found the WWII info, but not WWI.  How wonderful to have this little bit more to go on.

I do not have any info about Daniel Patrick that I can call definitive.  The 1900 Census shows a Joseph Henry age 7 with a Katie McDonald, widow, in Montana.  He does not show up in any Census I can find after that.  I also have a Katie Murphy, widow of Danl P, in Illinois in 1924 phone book.  There is nothing for the year beforeto indicate death of DP in the area. 

I just spent a few days with one of my sisters who says her birth certificate may have some helpful information about our dad, Joseph's son.  She will send me a copy when she returns home and I will dig a little more.  I haven't checked my birth certificate but now think it might be a good idea.

Thanks again for your tips and help.
Christy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 April 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a lot of things that don't add up  :-\

The 1900 census record you mention shows Katie E. McDonald & son living in Galena, Jasper, Missouri (not in Montana). She's listed as widow (no sign of a Mr. McDonald) but then you said she (and Daniel Murphy) were in San Francisco in 1920.

His WWI draft registration card shows him living in Shamrock, Creek, Oklahoma and married. The 1940 census shows him living in Yreka, California with wife Ruth (age 34, born California, cashier). So, possibly married at least 3 times if there was also a marriage 1925.

There is at least one online tree which probably combined several Daniel Patrick Murphys into one. Gives wife as Catherine Wallace with 2 marriages for them- first 10 Aug.1887 in Merritton, Ontario then one 14 Apr.1890 in Dublin  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
The WWI draft registration card is consistent with that date and puts him in Oklahoma circa 1917.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZZ9-JK4

When you read this card he is 23 born 1893 implies written c1916 and he is shown as married
Did Joseph Henry marry twice? or earlier than you thought?

editted to add
Sorry Aghadowey just noticed you picked up on same issue
"So, possibly married at least 3 times if there was also a marriage 1925"
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 April 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
The WWI draft registration card is consistent with that date and puts him in Oklahoma circa 1917.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZZ9-JK4

When you read this card he is 23 born 1893 implies written c1916 and he is shown as married

The WWI draft registration in the US didn't start until 1917.  The cards are usually dated, but this one isn't.  Given his age and the style of the card, I suspect this card was from the first draft registration, which was held 5 Jun. 1917.  He wouldn't have reached his birthday in December yet, so age 23 fits.

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
The married state in 1916 was a bit of a surprise for me.  I will dig a bit to find out whether there was issue from that marriage.

Yes, my grandmother was married, we think, about 1924/25 to JHM.  I haven't found evidence of a divorce yet but did find record of JH marriage to Ruth L. probably in 1930s.  My grandmother also remarried in 1940 or so but soon divorced Adolph.

You said there would be back-up data for the SS info.  How would I go about finding those links?  I have ignored anything that didn't place JHM in CA but will now be more open when filtering info.  I think SS wasn't a fact of life until 1930s but need to research that a bit.

Thanks for your comments.  I have spent far too much time on this already but it is so fun to find out about my family, especially those I had so little info about.

Christy