Author Topic: taft maker  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: taft maker
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 April 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
When you have the chance could you please post a snip if the occupation for us to look at?

It sounds very likely to be 'last'. Is the person still alive for any of the censuses? That would be my first port of call.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ruskie I can't post snips , I'm happy with last and will go with that. He died before census unfortunately but thankyou for your help.                               Kind regards, Sue

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
I have absolutely no idea what it is connected to. It appears on his son's marriage certificate as being occupation of father. The said taft maker lived in Thurmaston if that is of any use during the 1830's - 1840's. I'm sorry I can't snippets here with my phone. He was previously a FWK.

I'll hazard a guess that that trade was linked to knitting stockings/hosiery.   FWK = Frame Work Knitter.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes Rena he was a framework knitter.