Author Topic: Griffiths Valuation date  (Read 2547 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Griffiths Valuation date
« on: Saturday 16 April 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know when the Griffiths Valuation was taken in Co Carlow? I've looked on the Carlow IGP website and it says 'The Valuation for Carlow County was taken c.1844'. However, when I click on a parish it then says 'The Valuation for County Carlow was taken c1851/52.' So I have no idea which date is correct. Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation date
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 07:11 BST (UK) »
If you know the actual person or location and search for it here, once found, click on the "Details" icon to confirm the print year:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 16 08:04 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for my gg grandfather James Kavanagh in the parish of Ballon. I know he was there in 1844 and I also know that he wasn't there in 1851/2 which is why I need to know which date is correct.

When I go on the IGP website and click on to search the parish of Ballon there is a James Kavanagh in the townland of Craans. However, when I've just searched for the same info on the askaboutireland link there is no record for a James Kavanagh in the parish of Ballon. I'm now thinking that the IGP website is incorrect and Craans isn't actually in the parish of Ballon.

So have I now got an incorrect date and an incorrect parish?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
The townland of Craans is definitely in the civil parish of Ardoyne, I can see James Kavanagh there in the "askaboutireland" website, the print date is 1852.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
http://www.logainm.ie/en/3126?s=Craans

If Valuation wasn't finished until '52 then that is the date in was published/printed, even though a townland might have been done years previously.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
It would be the Field Books that would give you the date when a property was valued!!

Field Books recorded information about the size and quality of the soil of an individual holding. If you're lucky, you may also find head of household names recorded, too. These books were used to gather details between 1830 and the early 1860s, the exact information gathered changing with each piece of legislation during these years, and they do not all survive. The NAI holds books for the Republic and some of the books for Northern Ireland. PRONI holds most of the books for Northern Ireland counties.

The NAI collection has been digitised and is expected to be added to the NAI's Genealogy website sometime

House books were compiled between 1830 to around 1844 and often record the occupier's name. They also record details of living conditions, not just in terms of space but also the materials used for walls and roofs, and of outbuildings. Some even include sketches of the property, barns and outbuildings. These Valuation Books are, therefore, the most interesting for family historians. The NAI holds books for the Republic and some of the books for Northern Ireland. PRONI holds most of the books for Northern Ireland counties.

The NAI's collection has been digitised and is expected to be added to its Genealogy website  sometime!

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/valuation-books.html

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the info. I'll keep an eye on the NAI website and hope that the collection is added sooner rather than later.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that Griffith's "primary valuation of tenements" (which can be seen at the top of every digitised page in the "askaboutireland" website) was the final stage in a wider, extended process of iterative work (including mapping of course) in the 1830s to mid 1840s which initially focused on establishing the boundaries of counties, baronies, civil parishes and townlands before turning towards the valuation of townlands, using housebooks etc. - plenty of history online about this period.  Also my understanding that the final stage from 1847/8 to 1864 to provide a comprehensive valuation of individual properties resulted in the publication of a volume within 6 months of the local survey completing (otherwise it would have been out of date for valuation purposes).

So when the "askaboutireland" website shows a James Kavanagh in the townland of Craans in the civil parish of Ardoyne with a local volume publication date of 1852, it means he was actually surveyed as being there in 1851-1852, ie. it wasn't an unchecked roll-forward of house books or other information gleaned from the 1830s to mid 1840s.

Grateful for any comments to get to the bottom of this / correct my understanding (to stop me incorrectly advising people that this is how it worked).