Author Topic: BrynBack, Edward and Grace Garner  (Read 5660 times)

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BrynBack, Edward and Grace Garner
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 April 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
   Now found burial record of Edward Garner which had been transcribed as Edward Evans.  (The Rectors handwriting  is not very clear).   He died 10 Feb 1944 age 56 with the address given as Tyn y Coed, Llanbedr, Meirioneth.   He  was buried 14 Feb, 1944 at Llanddwye Parish Church. 

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 April 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Grace E Garner death Sept 1963 age 74 Merioneth E

the 1943 Grace Garner is 73
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 April 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
The Grace Ellen Garner is associated somehow with the family of John Thomas Garner(hairdresser) who is in Glyndwr Terrace in 1901.He is the son of Hugh and Ellen.John Thomas marries Annie M Davies and have a son Norman.Annie dies 1950,John Thomas 1951 and his probate record gives him of 2 Glyndwr Terrace.He nominates his son Norman,who in turn dies in 1958 and nominates Grace Ellen,widow.
I did think she might be a sister of John Thomas(widowed,reverted to maiden name?),but I can't find such a record.It looks as if he has a sister G(w)ladys born 1889 but I can't make Gwladys into Grace.

Regards
Roger

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 02:19 BST (UK) »
Emyr...Thank you so very much for the additional information . I had Edwards service records and like you I can't make out the nature of his injury. I was unaware of the newspaper article. The garner family had a long history of being bakers so I wonder how it is that Edward became a stoker and a carter. His father's line, going back to Liverpool and then further back to Appleton, had all been public bakers and wheat farmers.

Despair...I have no record of  a john thomas garner. Edward had a brother named William, married to a Edith Evans, and they had a son named John, born 1919. I have no idea whatsoever who Hugh or Ellen are. This is not a part of my tree, so far as I can tell.

Thanks

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are 2 Grace Garner, the wife of Edward Garner , and the other, sometimes called Gracie, the wife of Norman Garner.
Norman Garner married Gracie Edmunds: Sept 1924 Preston  8e 1678. In 1939 they and their daughter Joan are living at 1 Glyndwr Terr, Corwen, with Gracie's parents William and Margaret. William is working in the Gas Works; in 1911 he and his family, including Grace Ellen Edmunds are living in Bethesda, work, Gas Stoker. The Probate info and death registration info Merioneth East, appear to refer to this Grace Garner. Joan Edmunds Roberts mentioned in grant of probate was Norman/Grace's daughter. Living at 2 Glyndwr Terr in 1939 are Norman's parents, John Thomas/Annie M; family there, including Norman and William Davies brother in law of John Thomas in 1911.

Edward and Norman might be related. Do the common factors, gas workers and Bryn Bach in Dyffryn and Glyndyfrdwy, Corwen suggest a connection?

Grace Jones, Edwards wife appears to have been born in Dyffryn Ardudwy area, parish of Llanenddwyn
1871 Census – Llwynonn, Llanenddwyn  Grace Jones 1  Llanenddwyn. Father Owen Jones  28  Shepherd  Ruthin  Denbighshire;  Mother  Mary Jones  24  Llanddwywe, Merionethshire.
1881 Census  Henborth Bach, Llanddwywe, Owen 38 Sawyer; Mary 32, Grace 12 .
1891 Census  There is a Grace Jones  21  Servant  born Wales, Lyffryn (Dyffryn ?) at Birkenhead.
1901 Census  Owen(labourer)/Mary  at Tynyffynnon, Llanenddwyn. No Grace.
1911 Census  Grace Jones  41  Single Servant  Merioneth, Dyffryn  at Crown Hotel, Corwen.
Have not listed other children of Owen/Mary.
Parishes of Llanenddwyn and Llanddwywe are in the Dyffryn (Ardudwy) area.
There are 2 houses, 1 & 2 Bryn Bach on outskirts of village of Dyffryn Ardudwy postcode LL44 2DR
 Also Bryn Bach, Glyndyfrdwy, Corwen  LL21 9HN
Entry of postcode on    www.streetmap.co.uk  for map of area.

Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 April 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've received a PM from a Rootschat contact  'jimbach'.
He says that he spent a week's holiday at Bryn Bach, Glyndyfrdwy to visit the Llangollen International Eisteddfod in the late 50s, staying with Ceiriog and Joan Roberts. Ceiriog's family kept the bakery in the village. There was an old woman staying there ; he thinks that she was an aunt to Joan. Years later he read that Ceiriog had died.
My research shows that Gwilym Ceiriog Roberts married Joan Edmunds Garner at Mael Sant & Sulien Sant Church, Corwen in 1946. Gwilym Ceiriog died 1975 and Joan 1995.