Author Topic: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 April 16 02:11 BST (UK) »
 ... ooops ... sorry, I've deleted this post as I realised I had probably misinterpreted something posted earlier. ;D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 April 16 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi hurworth

Thank you for your message.   ;)

I have some additional info to post here, but just before I do that, can you clarify please how it is that you arrive at "Catherine THOMSON" or "Catherine BENSON"  ?    Just looking at trees/ and NZ records, and it would seem that neither woman had children.

*  Are you following the THOMSON or BENSON lines ?

~  Lu

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 April 16 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy.

It's the Thomson side I am interested in.

I was hoping the Intention to Marry Notice might help confirm whether or not the Catherine Benson who married William Morement in 1870 is the same woman who married Thomas Benson in 1866, but if you've managed to work out the people in the will that might also tell us whether or not Catherine Benson was a spinster from Australia.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 April 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi hurworth

Returning to Catherine MOREMENT :

It does seem that this lady may not have had immediate family in New Zealand (probably the reason her friend Eliza Lawson GRANGE is mentioned in the Will of Catherine.)   It may also account for the misspelling of her name as "Kathleen" in the newspaper death notice (unless it was her "pet name" ?).  She was though according her the signature on her Will (dated 10 July 1923), "Catherine".

I've been able to trace some of the persons named as beneficiaries in the Will of Catherine MOREMENT.     They were all born in (and died in), Victoria, Australia.

The following, referred to as "my nieces",  are all from one family -- the children of a George BENSON and his wife Mary OWEN (or OWENS).
*  Mary BENSON (1875-1961)  /   May BENSON (m. PARKER) (1885-1974)  /  Eva BENSON (1887-1975)  /   Gladys BENSON (1890-1949) ... her death notice confirms she was also known as "Jackie" as mentioned in the Will  /  Doris BENSON (1893-1970).

[ There were other children born to this couple  - Elizabeth (Beth - Mrs GARTNER), and Lillian (McCRACKEN) survived Gladys BENSON - some  had  also died in childhood.  The other two nieces and a nephew named in Catherine's will I have not yet found.]

George BENSON - 72 years (father of Catherine's nieces) died at St. Kilda, VIC. in 1923.   His death registration gives his parents as "Jno (John) BENSON and Catherine RYAN".
[His death notice mentioned only his wife, Mary.]

A child named "Catherine BENSON" was born to "a John BENSON and Cath. RYAN" - 1846 - Melbourne, Victoria, (very probably the sister of George BENSON b. Mt Macedon, Vic, 1851 ) - although this (1846) year does not exactly tally with the supposed year of birth on Catherine MOREMENT's death record.

My guess is that this Catherine MOREMENT (nee BENSON) was born in Australia.  :D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 April 16 13:52 BST (UK) »
Having again looked over a good number of "trees" for the Dunedin THOMSON family (George and Helen), none seem to have been able to show how they arrived at naming the "5" children who accompanied George THOMSON and wife to NZ per the "Jura" in 1858 ??    There does not appear to be a passenger list for that voyage, which gives any further detail.   [Were the children's names taken from the 1851 Scotland census ?    How is it known that "Catherine" was on the voyage ? ]

There are NZ records for "5"  THOMSON children - Margaret / Jessie / Jeanie (Jeannie) and James Alexander - but the 5th child (Ellen) was born at Dunedin in 1859.

**  Does the death notice for George THOMSON, suggest that Catherine is already deceased in 1897 ?
(Her brother James Alexander THOMSON had died in 1889).

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz
"Evening Star" (Dunedin) - 13 February 1897 - page 2

THOMSON - George ... February 12th at his residence, Pine Hill ... beloved husband of Helen THOMSON and father of
Mrs DICK  [this is Margaret formerly Mrs. BOYER]

Mrs J. S. CAPSTICK [Jessie]

Mrs DICKIE  [Jeanie / Jeannie]

and Mrs SNOW *

[* Should read as "SNOWDON" :  Ellen THOMSON m. (1) Aaron Robert BLOMFELT
                              (2) m. 1891 - George Frederick SNOWDON.]
 ???

~  Lu

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 April 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Brilliant work Lu!  :D

I think the earlier details of Catherine's life are correct but I had my doubts that this second marriage was her.

The Otago Witness of 25 Sept 1858 has a passenger list with Geo. Thomson, wife and 5 children but doesn't name them.

Only two children are on the 1851 Scottish census - Margaret and "Cathren".   The others who came to New Zealand were born after the census.

Also the First Church parish records in Dunedin say the marriage of Catherine Thomson to Thomas Benson in 1866 took place at the house of George Thomson, Pine Hill with the consent of her father George Thomson.   The witnesses were William Warren and George Thomson.   Thomas and George give their occupations as bushmen and William was a labourer.

Many thanks indeed
Hurworth

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 April 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Hurworth

I'm still working on this.   ;D

Thanks for providing extra detail confirming Catherine's marriage to BENSON.

*  Do you know if there were other children to George and Helen THOMSON, born in Scotland ?

~  Lu

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 April 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

I have all I need on the Thomsons including the Scottish records but I didn't have a record of this Morement marriage which didn't seem to have been verified by anyone.

Because of the date of the Benson/Morement marriage I knew a marriage printout wasn't going to help as it was before the parents of the bride and groom were recorded, and with the confusion around Catherine Morement's name and age when she died I wasn't confident that the informant knew who her parents were, so I thought the ITM might help.

I was just missing this one piece of the puzzle.