Author Topic: Capt. Charles Reid - did he have any family?  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capt. Charles Reid - did he have any family?
« on: Monday 18 April 16 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm on the hunt for Charles Reid, who was a whaling captain in the 1840s and 50s, based out of Aberdeen and Dundee. I have a copy of his Master's Certificate, which lists all the ships he served on up until 1850 (I can provide a list if necessary). The MC gives his date of birth as 27 December 1798, Aberdeen. He was baptised 14 Mar 1801 at Pitsligo, his parents Thomas & Margaret (née Milne) Reid of Rosehearty. His elder siblings were all born in Montrose, and that is where he began his whaling career (his brother James was also a whaler). According to the MC his base of operation moved from Aberdeen to Dundee around 1840. I'm wondering if anyone can locate him on the censuses (I haven't had much luck and assume he would've been at sea for a lot, if not all of them) and see if he married and had any children.

Cheers,

Toban

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Charles Reid - did he have any family?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 16 07:15 BST (UK) »
There is a Charles Reid born Aberdeen and described as Seaman living in Dundee on the 1861 census. With him is a wife Helen and children Alexander 34 b Aberdeen a carpenter and daughter Ann 28b Aberdeen Also a Charles 13 described as Nephew.

It may be worth looking for a death cert in Dundee after this date for Charles to see if this is your man.

Hope this helps

Norms

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 16 10:16 BST (UK) »
SP have what I assume is the death of your man in the 1861 census; a Charles Reid, born 1797, dying in 1864 in Dundee.

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi to you both,

I've had a look at the '64 death in Dundee and it is indeed the same man as on that '61 census entry. It is not, however, my Charles Reid. That man was the son of Robert Reid & Margaret Farquhar.

The whaling season ran from March/April to October/November, so Charles probably won't be on any censuses until he retired. He may have also died at sea and so will never show up....

Possibly a long shot, but are their any Reid women living in Dundee, noted as being married but their husband is not at home?

Cheers,

T

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:23 BST (UK) »
There are 3 marriages listed with the name Charles Reid as the groom in Angus between 1820 and 1835.  Brides were Ann Craik, December 12th 1822; Jean Crockatt, July 5th 1827; both in Dundee Parish... And Elizabeth Peter, May 29th 1830, parish of Aberlemno.

Likewise there are 4 marriages for the same Groom name in Aberdeen for the same date range.

There is one listing in the 1841 census for a Charles Reid aged between 35 and 45 in Dundee, and 3 in Aberdeen for that same date range. Two of the three in Aberdeen are affirmative for an Ann and a Jean as a second name, so might be the same as the Dundee marriages.

I am not familiar with ships Captains lifestyles, but it would indeed make sense that he would be at sea a lot, so if you can locate the marriage that is probably your best bet of tracking the family in the census records. They had to find time somewhere for having a wife and kids, right?!  Or maybe not!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Given his baptism was over 2yrs after his birth - how did you determine his parentage as there is no actual birthdate on the 1801 baptismal record on Family Search?

Is the birthdate on the OPR on Scotlands People?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:45 BST (UK) »
Good question Carole.

The family posted by Higgsy at #1 looks a good match birth and occupation wise, so I would be interested to know how sure you are about your Charles's parentage.

How did you get to your Charles? He is obviously not a direct ancestor if you don't have knowledge of his wife and children ....

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:54 BST (UK) »
Charles Reid is the brother of my wife's ancestor, James Reid. Both of them were whalers, operating out of Montrose, then Aberdeen, with Charles moving to Dundee, as mentioned before.

His date of birth comes from his Master's Certificate, which was issued in 1850.

Thomas Reid & Margaret Milne as parents for James and Charles was deduced by James Reid's children's claims to be related to Dr. John Milne of India (pretty well known in his time); one of James' son's middle name was Milne as well. I think this is pretty good onomastic evidence for Thomas & Margaret to be James & Charles parents, especially as that Reid-Milne union resulted in a James and a Charles, as per the IGI/OPRs. I had been a little dubious to accept the 1801 baptism as belonging to my family purely because of the 11 year gap between it and the last baptism I had for Thomas & Margaret, though the d.o.b. reduces that to an 8 year hole. Two of James Reid's children were sponsors (at baptism) by a William and an Alexander Reid, who a likely brothers of James & Charles whose baptisms I have yet to find, but they would fill that gap a bit.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 19:29 BST (UK) »
Charles Reid is the brother of my wife's ancestor, James Reid. Both of them were whalers, operating out of Montrose, then Aberdeen, with Charles moving to Dundee, as mentioned before.

His date of birth comes from his Master's Certificate, which was issued in 1850.

Thomas Reid & Margaret Milne as parents for James and Charles was deduced by James Reid's children's claims to be related to Dr. John Milne of India (pretty well known in his time); one of James' son's middle name was Milne as well. I think this is pretty good onomastic evidence for Thomas & Margaret to be James & Charles parents, especially as that Reid-Milne union resulted in a James and a Charles, as per the IGI/OPRs. I had been a little dubious to accept the 1801 baptism as belonging to my family purely because of the 11 year gap between it and the last baptism I had for Thomas & Margaret, though the d.o.b. reduces that to an 8 year hole. Two of James Reid's children were sponsors (at baptism) by a William and an Alexander Reid, who a likely brothers of James & Charles whose baptisms I have yet to find, but they would fill that gap a bit.

You should always keep in mind that when stories are passed down of family being related to someone "famous" or "well known", there is that much greater a chance that this is indeed false information. Everyone wants to be related to someone important, comparatively few actually are.  I would not be certain that you have the correct parents. Milne is a common enough name in Aberdeen (I have it in my family tree as well) and James and Charles were also very common names. Until you can be certain of the parents and the date of Birth, which could easily have been wrong on the Master's Certificate, I would not discount anything.  In Genealogy, deducing anything from family lore alone is a huge mistake.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick