Author Topic: Greig/Mack family in Peebles,1850-1910  (Read 6273 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Greig/Mack family in Peebles,1850-1910
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
1841 Census Tyne Mount , Ormiston , East Lothian.
Hugh Greig 45 ag lab born Outside Census County
Euphemia Greig 50 b. East Lothian
Helen Greig 18 b. East Lothian
Janet Greig 12 b. East Lothian
William Greig 3 b. Outside Census County

No relationships are given on the 1841 Census , so again unsure if this is your William

Baptism for Helen ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY22-B3F

On the 1873 marriage cert. William's father(William) is listed as deceased but his mother Marion is not.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Are you as confused as me? About the only constant things seem to be that William Mack Jr's father was William Mack and his mother was Marion. 

William Mack and Jane Melrose's children seem to be following that conventional naming rule (if I have them all correct that is). First born is Barbara Melrose Mack, named precisely after mother's mother Barbara Melrose. Second born daughter is Marion Grieg Mack, presumably named after father's mother Marion Greig (which is a variant of mothers name listed on the death certificate). Third born daughter is named Janet Grieg Mack - wasn't the oldest daughter in the mothers family the next to be honored - and we do have an Aunt Janet Grieg named in the 1881 census. First born son is named William after father's father. So that pattern is holding.

But why Marion Cochrane? You might think this to be more accurate, as she was alive when William and Jane got married, but seems to be deceased as well by the time her son dies (am I reading that correctly?). 

And what of that Greig family with the tempting surname of Henderson floating around (to match up with my Grandfather's brothers middle name). William McPool? He is Greig before and after the 1851 census, and McPool has to be a rare rare family name. He seems to be too old to be William Mack - his birth date is pretty consistent at around 1838, whereas William Mack seems to be born around 1845. Janet Greig looks to be the right age to be the Aunt Janet Greig however. I see that Euphemia and Hugh had several children, but I can't see a Marion among them however, which would have been convenient (give or take the Cochrane conundrum).

And why the constant fluctuation in family name between Grieg and Mack? I am getting the feeling that these people are anarchists, deliberately fouling up the government records!

Thanks for all this information by the way - the pics of those documents are wonderful to see.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
I just found a tree on ancestry.com that has the information slightly wrong, in that he has William as a son of Euphemia and Hugh Greig, rather than grandson.  Interestingly however he has Euphemia Henderson as the daughter of George Henderson and Euphemia Cochrane. However he has no Marion Greig listed as the daughter of Hugh and Euphemia.

I have less and less doubt that William Greig in the earlier family is the same as William Mack in the later family.  The presence of Janet in both households, with the same age difference between her and William, and the fact that she is described as his Aunt, is fairly convincing. But also William Greig the railway worker from Eddlestone in the 1871 census matches well with William G Mack the railway plate layer from Eddlestone in the 1881 census. 

Here is my conjecture as to what has happened here with this family. I think there is a missing daughter of Hugh and Euphemia Grieg named Marion. She marries William Mack and they have a son William. For some reason William ends up being raised by his grandparents Euphemia and Hugh Greig.

William Mack dies young and Marion Grieg/Mack remarries William Cochrane - there is a marriage 12 July 1864 in Edinburgh Parish between Marion Greig and William Cochrane, which could be her. This is many years before her son's marriage to Jane Melrose in 1873, so she is described on her son's marriage certificate as Marion Mack/Cochrane.

And it seems that William Greig Mack, born Mack but raised as a Greig keeps varying his family name between Mack and Greig, with the family eventually settling on Greig by the time his widow and daughter migrate to New Zealand. 

Of course this all relies on finding a plausible Marion Grieg/Mack/Cochrane daughter of Euphemia and Hugh....

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
Two references to possible marriages for Hugh and Euphemia -
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9L-RMB
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTGK-YL3

If that's the correct couple there would be plenty of time for other children before Helen was born in 1822.

If William Mack and Marion were married why would their son use the surname Greig ?
Just a thought.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
I thought they might be married because Marion is referred to as Marion Mack in both the marriage and birth certificates? William being illegitimate might explain why he was with his grandparents however, particularly if Marion was young. Maybe her husband died and she couldn't cope. It seemed reasonable to me that if William Mack was bought up totally in the Greig household, as it appears he was, then he might call himself Greig. Maybe he was adopted?

On the contrary side to all this theorising, I can't see any leads for a Marion Greig, daughter of Hugh and Euphemia whatsoever. And no leads for a marriage to a William Mack, and no birth certificate for a son. There aren't many promising candidates for a William Mack senior either. And the records of these people seem to be fairly detailed.  You might expect Marion to be back home with her parents, if she was either unmarried or if her husband had died, but she never appears in any census. It looks as if she is not part of this family at all... I am not sure what other scenarios could be invented however.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
The http://www.freereg.org.uk/ website has Andrew Greig son of Hugh Greig(ploughman) and Euphemia Henderson of Lampeckwells Pencaitland , birth 29th October 1814 , baptism 20th November 1814.

Also , to the same parents Thomas Greig born 1816 , Hugh born 1819 , Helen born 1822 , James born
1825 , and Janet born 1829.

No Marion  :(

ev

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Doesn't look very hopeful, considering that William Greig was supposedly born circa 1838 by the first census (although I wonder if that is a mistranscription for 3 months, because elsewhere it would seem he is born 1841/42). Not a lot of space for Marion in that sequence.

Well it was a nice theory... It still looks to me as if William Greig is William Mack, because of the occupation of railway worker, location of Eddlestone and Aunty Janet living with him. But I have no idea who Marion is, if she isn't Janet's sister.

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
There is a birth entry on 22 March 1838 for William Mack, son of William Mack and Marion Cochrane, born in Canongate, Edinburgh.   ???

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 April 16 07:32 BST (UK) »
You would think that has to be him  :)

So what's the connection to the Greig family ?

No credits left to look at the entry on SP , can't see any other children born to this couple.

ev