Author Topic: Greenwich cemetery - any gravestones of the Ruegg family?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
  • expat Brit, born in Scotland, now living in Berlin
    • View Profile
Greenwich cemetery - any gravestones of the Ruegg family?
« on: Monday 18 April 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hallo,
According to deceasedonline.com, many of the Ruegg family are buried in Greenwich cemetery. I'm looking for anyone who visits that cemetery and can tell me if they have seen any gravestones with the name Ruegg on them. If so, I would love a photo.
Many thanks,

Xanthe
Bwye, Blenkiron, Clarke, Close, Durrant, Fraser, Hall, Humm, Ivin, Joy, Livermore, Phelps, Ruegg, Schmock, Sever, Sinclair, Thorneycraft, Widows, Woolley

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich cemetery - any gravestones of the Ruegg family?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea of date of death  or their denomination,  CofE, non-conformist  or other clues, please.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:32 BST (UK) »
If you have paid for and downloaded all the information from DeceasedOnline and the records supplied do not tell you whether headstones were put on the plots, then contact cemetery services with all the details you have and ask them directly which may save someone going on a wild goose chase for you.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/1649/contact_cemetery_services

Let us know what they say
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying. There are many Rueggs in the cemetery but none are in my direct line and I cannot afford to pay for information on all of my relatives. I have written to the cemetery but I am pretty sure they will refer me back to deceasedonline.com. I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase, it was more in the line of asking people who regularly visit the cemetery to let me know if they happen to see any gravestones of the following members of my family:

RUEGG Edith Rose 1968
RUEGG Edward William 1864
RUEGG Helen Maud 1871
RUEGG John Henry Ulrich 1883
RUEGG William 1914

And if they can't photograph the headstones, then I would still be grateful if I could know if there are any gravestones. If there are then I would visit the cemetery next time I am in the UK.

Another question: On deceasedonline.com in the advanced search one can enter "gravestone collections". If this search comes back with no results, does this in fact mean that there is no gravestone? If so, then there is really no point in looking, as there were no results.

Many thanks for your help,

Xanthe

Bwye, Blenkiron, Clarke, Close, Durrant, Fraser, Hall, Humm, Ivin, Joy, Livermore, Phelps, Ruegg, Schmock, Sever, Sinclair, Thorneycraft, Widows, Woolley

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Xanthe

If you have downloaed the plot numbers for these graves and all the files that go with them and there is no mention of a headstone, then still approach cemetery services and ask them for this information. If you have paid DceasedOnline for information and you haven't received what you had hoped for then tell the council. You shouldn't have to pay again.

Cemetery services will most probably be more willing to help if you can give them a plot number as well as a name and date. They would be more likely to charge someone who hadn't paid anything for any infomation but still wanted a look-up.

Unfortunately from my own experience of cemeteries and DeceasedOnline, they don't digitise all the information that they could and I know that cemetery offices hold more detailed records than are sometimes online.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
Xanthe,

I haven't been on Rootschat for months, so missed your post when it was fresh. If you are still interested in locating the graves, I spend a lot of time in Greenwich Cemetery (WW1 related usually) and called in this afternoon to see if I could locate any of your Rueggs. I had mixed fortunes.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Thanks for posting the photo.

Xanthe hasn't been online here since her last post in May but should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 August 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn,

I hope so. That was the highlight, but between my knowledge of the layout and the burial registers, I can locate three out of the four graves Xanthe is looking for.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
Phil, many thanks for looking. Whose grave is that? I couldn't read the inscription. Did you just find the one?
Best,
Xanthe