Author Topic: John Fletcher  (Read 1021 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fletcher
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with any of the following?

I have a John Fletcher marrying Jane Irving on 8th July 1820 at Brigham. Jane Irving was baptised at Brigham in 1798, daughter of William and Ann Irving. John and Jane had the following issue:

William Fletcher baptised 14th January 1821 Brigham

Mary Fletcher baptised 23rd March 1823 Brigham

Thomas Fletcher baptised 18th December 1825 Brigham

John Irving Fletcher baptised 2nd February 1834 Brigham

Ann Fletcher baptised 21st May 1837 Brigham, died 20th December 1840, Brigham

There may have been other children?

John Fletcher was a Tailor by profession, and died on 24th April 1847 at Flimby, aged 50 years old. I have long been told that John was the son of an Isaac Fletcher, and was baptised at Dean on 31st January 1796? I am a little confused however that none of John and Jane Fletchers children were named Isaac or Frances (possible parents of John?).

There is however a John Fletcher baptised on 6th August 1797 at Camerton, illegitimate son of a Mary Fletcher. Mary Fletcher also had an illegitimate son Thomas Johnson/Johnstone or Fletcher baptised at Camerton on 8th November 1789.

I think Mary Fletcher later married at Camerton on 14th January 1808 an Isaac Hetherington, and possibly had another son Joseph Hetherington baptised on 26th June 1808, also at Camerton.

Thomas Johnson who fathered Mary Fletchers child Thomas, married at Camerton on 1st June 1789 a Sarah Corrie/Corree and later moved to Workington and had issue, all baptised in the Presbyterian Church.

There is a burial of a Mary Hetherington on 4th August 1832 at Wigton, and also one of Isaac Hetherington on 20th April 1825, also at Wigton but no ages given?

The only possibility for a birth of Mary Fletcher is one at Cockermouth, baptised on 30 November 1766, daughter of a Joseph Fletcher?

Any help with any of the above greatly appreciated! :D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
What actually are you wanting to discover?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    I am basically trying to find out who John Fletchers parents were? Seems strange that if he was the son of Isaac and Frances Fletcher that none of his children were named so? Whereas if he was the son of Mary Fletcher he named his first daughter Mary, and also named his second son Thomas (possibly after Marys son Thomas Johnson?).
Also William Fletcher who was born in 1821 (son of John) named his second son Thomas Fletcher (no Thomas in family names of wife) which I know could be just a coincidence but seems as though family names are carrying through?
I have looked at other John Fletchers born around the time 1795 - 1800 but they either seem to have died or the ones which did survive are alive after 1847 when my John Fletcher died.
Many thanks for your help. :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
John FLETCHER is obviously not an unusual name.  :-\

I think I would see if I could establish what may have happened to the JF from Flimby, are there any baptisms of children with the "right" christian names?  Such research may help to eliminate that JF from your enquiries. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.