Author Topic: Bedford Modern School - Officer training.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bedford Modern School - Officer training.
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 23:34 BST (UK) »

Hello,

My father-in-law achieved the rank of Major during WW11. We have his swagger stick which until recently I never really took any interest in, however today I looked at the silver coloured top and noticed the emblem, it has an eagle with outstretched wings and the words 'Bedford Modern School' written in three separate banners.... I Googled this and found a small article re: officer training at the school... Can someone tell me a little more about this school and in particular the officer training..

I intend to frame the stick along with a photo and George's medals to pass to his eldest grandson.

Thank you
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford Modern School - Officer training.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
It's an independent day school run the the charity the Harpur Trust. Previously a boys' school, it's now co-ed. When your father in law attended it was in the town centre, but moved to a greenfield site on the edge of town and the original premises are now a shopping centre. Wikipedia has articles on both Bedford Modern School and Harpur Trust
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
For independent schools, it's always worth trying to contact the archivist. They usually have strong former pupils' societies and back issues of school magazines and so on. See http://www.bedmod.co.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
many thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly contact the School Archivist as I seem unable to find information regarding officer training during WW11 on the internet...

Regards Patricia.
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
The OTCs were school cadet organisations - their successor is the Combined Cadet Force. They were mainly in independent and grammar schools, from which it was expected that most officer recruits for the Army would come. They were seen as the junior version of the University OTCs, which still exist.
Officers within each school contingent would be teachers from the school, as is still the case; at the time you are interested in, many would have had war service.
Thinking about it, there's a reasonable chance that your father-in-law gained the swagger stick through being promoted to Cadet Sergeant Major or some other high Cadet rank.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
During the war years is it possible that officer training was undertaken there. George was an enlisted soldier (1939), he started as a private, he spent most of his service in India and achieved the rank of Major, he was born in Scotland but moved to Scunthorpe as a boy, he went to Scunthorpe Grammar School and  then went to work for an insurance company so he had no early connections with the Bedford Modern School that we know of...

Patricia