Author Topic: 1881 Census Emma Chadwick of Barrow in Furness Lancashire  (Read 3713 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census Emma Chadwick of Barrow in Furness Lancashire
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 April 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

St Peters Church, Swinton : 9th November 1901 after Banns

John Kershaw 30 bach. labourer of 26 Ellesmere Street. Father: Isaac Kershaw (dec): labourer

Emma Chadwick 37 spins. Domestic Servant of 12 Primrose Hill. Father: Thomas Chadwick (dec) Brick and Tile burner

Both signed register
Witnesses: Thomas Wiston and Ann Wiston

claire

EDIT: At least she married and 'adopted' a son.  :)

POSSIBLE DEATH REG: Emma Kershaw
                                      Death March Qtr. 1934 Barton I (Barton upon Irwell)
                                      Age 70
                                      Vol. 8c   Page: 689
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 April 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Mary CHADWICK

March Qtr. 1906  Madeley  Vol. 6a  Page: 892

CHADWICK Mary <<<<<<<<
Leadbetter Eliza Ann
OAKLEY Noah     <<<<<<<<
Pinner Robert

claire

EDIT:Oops ~  Keyboard ~ didn't see you'd already found marriage for Mary Chadwick  :o

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 April 16 02:28 BST (UK) »
Gosh Claire, now I owe both yourself and keyboard86 drinks and whatever.
The two of you have become wonderful mates to me and my family through all the work that you have done.
We are coming to the UK next year and hope to visit some of the villages/towns/cities where these ancestors worked, but my feeling is that they didn't play much.
People talk of the 'good old days', but my impression of these families is that they were on the bread line.
Yet, that is not what my father's brothers and sister thought.
They were very humble people themselves having lost, like their grandfather, their parents at a very early age. The world has come a long way since those days and my grandchildren don't have any idea, yet.
I've been captivated by Emma Chadwick, she's been the guiding light in this exercise, and I fell in love with the thought of her. I'm glad to hear that someone swept her off her feet. And her little sister too.
Many thanks again Claire.
I don't know how to add those little smilies but I'll touch one and see what happens.
Ken :-*

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 April 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Very lovely words, thank-you very much indeed Ken, although I have to recognize that on this occasion Keyboard did most of the hard work and is very thorough :), let's just say I fleshed out the bones a bit  :)
It is lovely when you can give your ancestors their 'happy ending' and it looks like Emma and Mary Chadwick achieved that.
I will add that Emma's adopted son was a Joseph Grass born 25th May 1908 Clifton, Lancashire. I feel this is probably the area in Salford, Manchester, rather than Clifton near Kirkham Lancs., (which incidently is where my ancestors are from !!)
I hope on your visit to the UK you get to see some of Shropshire, it's a very beautiful rural place, well worth a visit.

Thanks Ken
Regards
Claire

Edit: Joseph Glass died in the Salford District in 1982

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi again Ken, beautifully worded response,  thought while I was about it would at least find the siblings of Emma's marriages:-

Francis Chadwick 23? Occ Labourer
Elizabeth Goodall 20
Both residing Rock Cottages, Jackfield
Groom Father Thomas Chadwick occ?  Fireman
James Goodall occ Engine Driver
Witnesses Hannah Chadwick Mary Ann Goodall
25th December 1895 Broseley

William Edward Evans 32 occ Labourer Father Charles Evans occ Chain Maker
Hannah Chadwick 31 Father Thomas occ Burner?
Witnesses John/Emma Chadwick
19th April 1897 Broseley

John Edwards 26 occ Labourer Father John Edwards occ Labourer
Elizabeth Chadwick 26 Father Thomas occ Burner
Witnesses John Chadwick Annie Edwards
25th December 1894 Broseley

John Chadwick 26 occ Labourer Father Thomas occ Burner
Emily Shaw 28 Father Edwin occ Miner?
Witnesses William Shaw Anna Chadwick
1st July 1888 Broseley

By the looks of it on your visit next year it would seem irresponsible not to visit Broseley, never been there myself, but as Claire stated Shropshire is a beautiful county!!
Keyboard86

PS An online tree states the "Middle name"  shown by Sarah b 1839/40 in at least one census is Lucas, no evidence shown?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 04:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you again both. I must admit that when searching and finding names for my trees, I have acted like a fisherman. 'Got one.' But you and Emma have turned me around, and now I'm seeing people, as they were, and reading between the lines, allowing me to understand more about their lives.
I'm not convinced that Emma ended up happy, in fact I think that the miserable life (even by the standards then) probably continued as before. Don't look, you've done so much, but I couldn't find her on later Census after 1911, but there are some John Kershaws  died soon after that date. And of course the Great War. One thing I wasn't sure about in your messages, was, whether Ann Davis, wife of Francis, was in your opinions, Ann Corfield. One of my guesses concerns master Thomas Davies born in 1854 of John and Mary. The William Davies family arrived here in 1884 together with, in their party, a W.Davies born abt 1854. My guess is that it was Thomas as other spelling mistakes occured on the passenger list. As to my visit next year (my 3rd attempt) we are bringing one of our daughters and family over for a tour of Europe(granddaughter wants to see Big Ben) and either before or after, my wife and I will try to work our way around through Cornwall and Wales. Shropshire and Staffordshire should be added now, though, from what has been found here, I imagine that Broseley is one great big Davies/Chadwick cemetery. Deepest thanks to you both.
Ken