Author Topic: Ipswich Cemetery look up request  (Read 1054 times)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ipswich Cemetery look up request
« on: Wednesday 20 April 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
I was delighted to find via the ancestry site a website called gravestones photos where volunteers photograph graves and you can search for your family member on the site.   If you find an entry that matches your ancestor you can then request a copy of the photograph of the grave stone.

I was lucky enough to find my gt gt grandmothers gravestone that is in Ipswich Cemetery, Old Municipal Section D 

Susan Munday burial year 1891.  Age 59. 

I can read the top part of the gravestone from the photograph but cant read the bottom part, I wonder if anyone is going to this cemetery and would be kind enough to read the gravestone for me.  I live in Kent and cannot do this myself.

Thank you

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ipswich Cemetery look up request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
If nobody has checked the gravestone yet, you may like to read these details from the Suffolk FHS burial index:

Susan MUNDAY of Abbey Wood, Kent, d. 1 Sep. 1891 aged 62, buried Ipswich Cemetery 7 Sep.

Having being 59 when her death was registered in the Woolwich district, she appears to have aged by three years in less than a week. ???

David

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
thanks David  She was 60 as I have her death certificate. I can only read the top few lines on her headstone as I can only view a copy of the image but hopefully if anyone is going to the Ipswich cemetery they might be kind enough to read the bottom part for me.

Regards Caron

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

Almost two years after your original request, I've now located Susan Munday's grave in Ipswich. It wasn't too hard to find (close to the path at the north-western corner of Section D, west of the Old Cemetery Church) but my visits are none too frequent!

The inscription below her details is the final verse of the hymn "Just As I Am" by Charlotte Elliott (see Wikipedia):

Just as I am - of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
O Lamb of God, I come!

David

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to find Susan’s grave for me and letting me know the details of the memorial text. I am so grateful to you. It was very kind of you to help me.