Author Topic: Kaffir Wars  (Read 777 times)

Offline Lady Kitty23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kaffir Wars
« on: Thursday 21 April 16 07:32 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather John Ellis  was in the 45th foot regiment he enlisted in 1825 I think the 45th was involved in the Kaffir wars because one of his children was born in the Cape  of Good Hope thats Samuel in 1848 I dont know much about John did he win a medal why was he discharged in 1851 did the 45th go to south america as well as another child was born in south america I found out he was a chelsea pensioner what records can i look up to find out more he was born in 1808 in shrewsbury salop he was a sergeant
downes martin ellis bishop lee wilde peplow

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kaffir Wars
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
His discharge papers are viewable on FindMyPast. They will tell you where he was born (Berrington), where he served and for how long, and the reason for his discharge.

Regarding South America, a battalion of the 45th was in Uruguay in 1846 and involved in the defence of Montevideo.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather John Ellis  was in the 45th Foot Regiment. He enlisted in 1825. I think the 45th was involved in the Kaffir Wars because one of his children was born in the Cape  of Good Hope; that's Samuel in 1848.

I dont know much about John; did he win a medal ? Why was he discharged in 1851?  Did the 45th go to South America?
As well as another child born in South America, I found out that he was a Chelsea Pensioner.
What records can I look up to find out more?  He was born in 1808 in Shrewsbury Salop.  He was a Sergeant.
No charge for the punctuation, but it makes your questions much easier to read.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 03:08 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"