Author Topic: Caleb C Smith  (Read 5218 times)

Offline WilliamJohnson70

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb C Smith
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 January 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
This looks awesome guys!
What software are you using? Do you know any online tutorials? I'd love to learn photo restoration but it's quite difficult to figure things out on my own.

Will

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
This looks awesome guys!
What software are you using? Do you know any online tutorials? I'd love to learn photo restoration but it's quite difficult to figure things out on my own.

Will

I use, almost exclusively, GIMP.  Its an open source free download and a very powerful tool. Photoshop has more features but can be a bit minty for the occasional user. There are others too but I have found GIMP serves me well enough. Youtube has dozens of tutorials on whatever software you settle on. The tutorials will give you a decent grounding on the basics, but there is no substitute for getting a photo up and getting stuck in and learning for yourself. You will find that what works on one image doesn't necessarily do the same on another so you learn as you go. I've been using it for years and I doubt that I have even scratched the surface on what it can do.

I have only been doing the restorations for a relatively short period, as previously I tended to mainly  dodge about with my own pics and doing fun pics for my kids and grandkids. The restorations however, give me an immense amount of satisfaction and knowing that someone else benefits from the result, even more so.

I have also learned a lot from all the restorers on here. What a great bunch of generous and like minded souls they  all are. This whole site restores your faith in human nature. If you have any queries you can always PM me.... go for it!

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
thank you all

Offline dafydd46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I can echo what Handypandy has said - GIMP is incredibly powerful, especially when you add the G'MIC plug-in.
There are also many additional filters downloadable from the internet.

Have a look at the tutorials and the various helpful sites about GIMP, and then learn by playing with it!

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 January 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said...I use Photoshop Elements 9 but although I haven't used Gimp I know that many have had some really good results with it.
Start with easy photos that have a few small cracks or creases to build up your confidence. There are many online tutorials but there is no substitute for hands on learning as there are many ways to achieve the same result and you will find a way that suits you. Practise and patience is the key, but most of all...enjoy the hobby...it is very addictive and time consuming but very satisfying too.

https://www.gimp.org/

What are you waiting for  ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 January 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I just used my basic program Photo editing program that came with Windows 8. My restoration was probably not as good as some other people's attempts on here.
But it is good enough for me anyway.  :) ;)

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so this one is severely overcooked, but a decent likeness I think.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

Looking at this post, the photographer Caleb C Smith is the same photographer who took a photo of my great grandma Lilian Pennington. It has the same addresses on the front and back.
Lilian was born on the 31st of August 1889 in Lincoln, and she looks to be around 2 years old in this photo. I also found out that in the 1891 census, Caleb C Smith was indeed put down as being at 1, Norman Place: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WTZF-76Z

Offline pablo59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 April 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Rtretttreerfgdf