Author Topic: Robert Findley/Findlay  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Findley's of Forfarshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for him on any census records?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks all..new info learned just yesterday suggests that Robert Findley's birth year was 1840...not 1845-47 as was first thought..this comes from a relative with his death certificate. But in reality what I am looking for is any sign that the Findley's actually did come from Forfarshire as shown on Robert's marriage certificate because he seems to have been prone to a certain laxity of truth :)...as to his parents marriage or the birth of any siblings ect..that would be a bonus. I looked at a 1841 census that shows a 1 year old Robert Findley with parents James and Jean..I have Roberts parents and Jane and Robert snr..I guess the names  Jean and Jane are interchangeable but the fathers names of James and Robert not so much. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi kasden,

I wouldn't get too hung up on the year of birth from his death cert. as the informant may not have known the exact year of birth & as you have stated, he didn't always tell the truth or was maybe just forgetful as men are when it suits  ;D

You need to try looking on census without putting in any specific area.

It's even possible he was illegitimate, never christened but used his father's surname which was a common occurrence.

How can anyone give "any sign that the Findley's actually did come from Forfarshire as shown on Robert's marriage certificate".

There are many free sites to look at census records for an indication & I'm sure you will see the surname Findlay/Findley in many areas.

What were the names of his children in order?

Have you looked for Jane/Jean Hales although that surname looks to be very rare.
Robert may be with his mother under her surname of Hale/Hales?

OPR births in Scotland on SP have only 19 entries 1538 - 1854 for the whole of Scotland for Hales.

With "Surname beginning with" Hale there are only 132 entries (ditto) above

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 September 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
all valid points and fair advice thanks Annie...his children were all born in Australia and that's where he is 'flexible' with his ages at their births...his marriage cert gives his age (27) and his birthplace and parents names as I have said before...but as his children arrive his ages at the time of their births don't gell with what he gave at his 1873 marriage and its obvious that he is not telling his correct age. His death cert informant is most likely the most reliable of all the certs because its his wife (and not him lol :) so that's why I was looking for any indication of Findley's in the Forfarshire area. A long shot at best .

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 September 16 01:50 BST (UK) »
Kasden,

"Once a liar, always a liar", there are people who have married murderers (sorry to use that as an e.g) but a "wife" means nothing in terms of anyone who lies.

Regardless of my thoughts, you have a "window" of his age to work with & you need to check census records as it's the only way you will find anything to work from.

Was his name actually Robert is what I'm beginning to wonder or did he make that up too?

Robert is not a common Scottish name either in terms.

How many Robert Findlay/Findley/Finlay/Finley have you found on free searches on census records in the whole of Scotland in your time frame of his "plausible"/possible birth date?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 September 16 02:43 BST (UK) »
My 2nd last post;

What were the names of his children in order?

You haven't confirmed anything regarding the question to try & establish possible parents names if they had any form of traditional naming pattern?

Annie