Poll

64th Medium Regt RA

64 Medium Regt RA
2 (100%)
304 POW Camp
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: 64th Medium Regiment, RA  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Medium Regiment, RA
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Sounds like he was unfit for front line action after Sicily July 1943. perhaps employed as guard in POW camp or in camp administration.

Added: Just a thought, how did he come to get knocked on the head. Unlikely to be by the POW's. My mothers brother, 6RTR/7AD was attacked in Cairo, on leave, suffering a fractured skull, his wallet and watch stolen. Subsequently, the Military Police told him the attacker was a British deserter. Perhaps this is what happened to your ggrandfather.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sammymatthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 16 02:41 BST (UK) »
Sounds like he was unfit for front line action after Sicily July 1943. perhaps employed as guard in POW camp or in camp administration.

Added: Just a thought, how did he come to get knocked on the head. Unlikely to be by the POW's. My mothers brother, 6RTR/7AD was attacked in Cairo, on leave, suffering a fractured skull, his wallet and watch stolen. Subsequently, the Military Police told him the attacker was a British deserter. Perhaps this is what happened to your ggrandfather.

Very interesting.  My grandma (his daughter) always told us he was accidently run over by an army vehicle. 

Offline sammymatthews

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 16 02:48 BST (UK) »
hi Sammy
found this for francis , died 7 feb 1944 from cerebral concussion .
camp 304 was at helwan nr cairo cant find much about the camp on google .
regards
trevor6

Thanks trevor.  We were always told he was accidently run over by an army vehicle. Could explain the cerebral concussion