Author Topic: Banffshire: The People and The Lands  (Read 7605 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banffshire: The People and The Lands
« on: Friday 22 April 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Just a heads up. Find My Past has added two new titles to its Scottish Registers and Records, the above and Moray: The People and The Lands.  They would appear to have records taken from the Kirk Session Records as short abstracts as well as descriptions of the parishes included. I have already located reference to my great grandfather's illegitimacy. So far not the easiest collection to browse through but I think if you can add text to the full text box the initial search is narrowed down.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire: The People and The Lands
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
That's interesting.

Are these the booklets by Bruce Bishop, published parish by parish under the title 'The Lands and People of [parish]?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
They do not actually make it clear in their blog or on the search page what the source is. However by scrolling back to the start of the records from Botriphnie parish it does say by Bruce R Bishop. (Have now realised you can simply put parish name in search box to get results). I am finding them absolutely fascinating - should keep me occupied for quite some time!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
They do not actually make it clear in their blog or on the search page what the source is. However by scrolling back to the start of the records from Botriphnie parish it does say by Bruce R Bishop

Thanks. I have access to the printed versions of Bruce's booklets.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,
I'm struggling to find this on FindMyPast? Can you give me a wee hint please....
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,
I'm struggling to find this on FindMyPast? Can you give me a wee hint please....
Jen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It's a series, not a single book. The title is 'The Lands and People of .... " and the author is Bruce Bishop. The .... stands for whichever parish you are interested in.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

It is not the easiest to find! If you go to their A- Z and find Scotland Registers and Records, click on browse publication. It is in the list of publications (there is one for Moray too!).

I have found it fascinating reading. The major downside is that I do not think their viewer is as good as on other sites. Finding what you are after is quite time consuming- it is not the most user friendly for browsing.

I have found information from Botriphnie, Keith, Rathven and Enzie - can't wait for the Kirk Session Records to come online so I can read the full entries!

William

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,
Thanks I've got it now! Not easy to find indeed and nothing you'd stumble across that's for sure. Forfarian, I didn't know this was a whole series thanks for the information you are indeed the family history fountain of knowledge!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir