Author Topic: Banffshire: The People and The Lands  (Read 7564 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire: The People and The Lands
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 August 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Just to say that FindMyPast have now added more from this series and it is now a bit easier to  follow. Some volumes are named by parish and seem to consist of burials mainly extracted from the Kirk Session Records. Other parts or volumes are listed by number and so you have to look at the first page to see the name of the parish concerned.(eg volumes one and two are about the parish of Keith).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 August 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Here is a list of the Parishes covered in Parts 1-21 (these are for the most part digests of the Kirk Session Records of the parishes concerned).

1.Keith pre 1775.
2.Keith 1775-1850
3.Boharm pre 1750
4.Boharm  1750-1850
5.Rathven pre 1750
6.Rathven 1750- 1850 (includes Enzie)
7 Botriphnie pre 1850
8.Aberlour pre 1775
9.Aberlour 1775 - 1850
10.Inveravon pre 1750
11 Inveravon 1750- 1850
12 Mortlach pre 1750
13 Mortlach 1750 -1850
14 Kirkmichael (Tomintoul) pre 1850
15. Grange pre 1725
16  Grange 1725 - 1850
17. Cullen pre 1750
18 Cullen 1750 - 1850
19 Fordyce pre 1850
20 Ordiquhill pre 1850
21 Marnoch pre 1850

It is definitely much easier to search and browse now and well worth a look for those with ancestors from the above parishes.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 August 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
I must be doing something very wrong as I still cannot find these records on FindMyPast despite following the instructions. When I try and find anything related to Banff/Banffshire in the A-Z it just brings up Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and Kincardinshire Monumental Inscrptions.  ???

Liv.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 August 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Easiest way to do it this week is to click on this weeks Find My Past Friday and scroll down until you see Scotland Registers and Records (Scotland Register and Records is also the way in  through the A - Z). Then click on browse publication.

Hope this helps.

William

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 August 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Easiest way to do it this week is to click on this weeks Find My Past Friday and scroll down until you see Scotland Registers and Records (Scotland Register and Records is also the way in  through the A - Z). Then click on browse publication.

Hope this helps.

William

It did help. Brilliant! Got it now. Many thanks.

I will be sitting here for a few hours now I think.  ;D

Liv.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 September 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
I'm enjoying browsing through these records, though its very time consuming!

One thing, though - I get a bit confused with married Scottish women using their maiden names. I'm all for it (feminism, and all that!) but I wish they'd either do it all the time or none of the time but it seems that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't....

So, in the Marnoch papers, I have found an internment in 1787 for an Isobel Mackie in Knockarth (can't find it on google maps). I have an Isobel Mackie in my tree who - I think (never managed to find the marriage) - married Alexr Milne around 1730 and, as they were both baptised in Marnoch, I assume they married there. Looking through the papers, I've found an internment for an Alexr Milne in Marnoch in 1758 (though he'd only have been about 48) and then the burial for Isobel Mackie in 1787. Will this be 'my' Isobel or another one who married a Mr Mackie?

If I may, I have another question: I have also found an entry in the Marnoch papers for a mortcloth 'early in 1815' for William Pirie. 'My' William Pirie died in Feb 1815 in Iriewells, Aberdeenshire which appears to be some 30 miles away. Is this just a coincidence? I know Pirie is not an uncommon name.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.