Author Topic: Prince of Wales, Porthmadog  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prince of Wales, Porthmadog
« on: Friday 22 April 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where the Prince of Wales (Tavern) would have stood in Porthmadog? I assume it was near the harbour, since a GGrandfather William Jones (later Captain) used it in 1878 as an accommodation address for receiving his "Only Mate" Certificate and a year later as the address on his Marriage Certificate.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Wales, Porthmadog
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
The Prince of Wales stood on Cornhill, which was around the original harbour: there's a bit about Cornhill here:  http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-85334-1-6-cornhill-porthmadog#.VxpRaHErLnA
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cati. Do you know if the Prince of Wales was demolished or does it still exist as a cafe or house?

Glyn.
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
It's been a long time since I was in Porthmadog... I don't remember seeing the Prince of Wales, but my memory may well be at fault. However, it doesn't appear on any list of pubs in the town.

Cornhill, as I recall, is clearly an old corner of the town, and the link I posted earlier seems to suggest that most of it is listed, so I think it likely that the building still stands. I think we could do with seeing if we can find it on an OS map, and then search for photographs.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
There is a record which gives the address as 17-18 Corn Hill. Looking at some old maps and Google Street View, it is now Pencei Cafe.

David

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you David and Cati. Following your information I did a bit of trawling through the censuses it appears that at least until 1911 the two properties were separate, No. 18 being owned by a grocer and No.17 a private property. No. 19 was a pub but called the Blue Anchor and later a sailor's rest. However, I have now found in the 1871 & 1901 Censuses that the Prince of Wales was situated at No. 2 Madoc Street.
The description for Tafarn Pencai Cafe does state that 17 & 18 were combined and turned into a pub but no indication of date. Possibly it was named Prince of Wales sometime after 1911. The irony is that there is a property at 2 Madog Street which has been split into two houses.

Thanks again.
Robb - London/Scotland