Author Topic: Normanton Baptism - Smith  (Read 1466 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Normanton Baptism - Smith
« on: Friday 22 April 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello
If possible could someone look-up the Normanton baptisms please?

I am looking for children of Abel SMITH wife Ann/Anne, from 1781 to around 1800. Sorry for the long time period.
They were married 21st May 1781 in Empingham or Normanton (sorry I don't know which).

Regards,
Angelfish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Normanton Baptism - Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 16 00:44 BST (UK) »
Normanton
21 May 1781
Abel Smith and Anne Maria Knight

From the Leicestershire & Rutland FHS Transcript CD.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 16 00:46 BST (UK) »
All at Normanton

26 Dec 1780 Stephen Smith to Abel and Anne (yes it does say 1780 ;))
20 May 1784 Anne Smith to Abel and Anne
13 Feb 1785 John Smith to Abel and Anne
5 Nov 1786 Abel Smith to Abel and Anne

Again from the L&R FHS CD.

No sign of any burials in Normanton.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 16 01:00 BST (UK) »
Have deleted the rest as Smudwhisk posted whilst I was still typing, but its worth mentioning that the BTs for Normanton are online but the marriage is not there, nor is the baptism of John Stephen. Anne is recorded as 20 May 1782, and 1786 is missing entirely  ::)

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
Worth bearing in mind that apparently the Leicestershire and Rutland parish registers are being digitised to go online on FindMyPast probably sometime this year.  As these are from transcripts, its always possible that errors have crept in and they should be checked against the originals.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 02:53 BST (UK) »
Have deleted the rest as Smudwhisk posted whilst I was still typing, but its worth mentioning that the BTs for Normanton are online but the marriage is not there, nor is the baptism of John Stephen. Anne is recorded as 20 May 1782, and 1786 is missing entirely  ::)

Thanks. Yes there are two of the baptisms on the IGI, but with others in between missing and not enough to go on. Thank you for your reply Jomot.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 April 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
All at Normanton

26 Dec 1780 Stephen Smith to Abel and Anne (yes it does say 1780 ;))
20 May 1784 Anne Smith to Abel and Anne
13 Feb 1785 John Smith to Abel and Anne
5 Nov 1786 Abel Smith to Abel and Anne

Again from the L&R FHS CD.

No sign of any burials in Normanton.

Thank you Smudwhisk for all your help.  I wasn't aware that the registers are going onto Find My Past - that will be fantastic and definitely something I will be looking out for, thanks for mentioning it.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 16 03:49 BST (UK) »
For information of other people researching this family.

I'm still missing records to confirm these other potential children of Abel and Anne:
William around 1780 Normanton? Rutland
Isaac born about 1785 Normanton
Stephen about 1790 Normanton (unless an error was made when the baptism date was transcribed for the previous Stephen)
James about 1791 Normanton? Empingham?
Then any missing children, before the birth of Maria in Lincolnshire, who was baptised 17 Aug 1800.