Author Topic: Cuthill / Cathell / Cuthell family : Paisley  (Read 1665 times)

Offline CEC

• RootsChat Extra
  • vires acquirit eundo
    • View Profile
Cuthill / Cathell / Cuthell family : Paisley
« on: Saturday 23 April 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any connections with my mother's family living in the Paisley area.
The surname evolved from Cathell to Cuthill and can be seen in their various BDM certificates.
I can see Cuthill's currently residing in Paisley and my goal is to uncover potential links with them.

John Cathell (1826-56) + Eliz Wilson Lang (1831-82) - buried Woodside Cem.          Great GGPs
Children -
Elizabeth (1856 - died in infancy)
James     (1861-62)
Janet McPherson   (1863-86)
Lilias (Lily) Elizabeth (1866-1915) married Flexi Cumming (Govan)
Sarah Ann (1871-73)
Jane Lang  (1850-58)
John Cathell (1859-1925)+Mary Cunningham (1862-1930)- Buried Hawkhead Cem       GreatGPs
Children -
Agnes Forbes (1885-1956) married Thomas Hunter (Paisley) - newspaper reporter.
Archibald Forbes (1887 - died infancy)
Elizabeth Wilson  (1889-1901)   buried Hawkhead Cem with parents.
Mary (1891-?) married John Young ( Paisley)
James (1895-?)
Alexander (1901-?) married Daisy Drysdale ( Kirkcaldy - last known location. )
John Hill Cuthill (1893-1929) married Mary Walker ( Glasgow )                                 Grandparents
Child -
Mary Diamond Cuthill (1926-72) Buried: Woodside Cem. married Ian Cooper ( Stranraer )

John Cathell (1826-78) was a boatman, living in Cart Lane near the old harbour. Best described as a 'colourful' character ( Several mentions in the court section of the Paisley Gazette. ).

Some of the earlier deaths are buried in the Abbey Burying Ground - this was part of Paisley Abbey or just within the Abbey Parish boundaries?

If anyone can see a connection to their tree or has any additional information, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Colin
Cooper - Stoneykirk ; Lancashire - Lunesdale
Paterson - Stoneykirk ;
Green - Stranraer; Diamond - Wigtownshire ;
Warren - Stranraer ; Girvin - Stranraer ;
Cathell or Cuthill - Paisley ; Walker - Stranraer

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Cuthill / Cathell / Cuthell family : Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin ,

Alexander (1901-?) married Daisy Drysdale ( Kirkcaldy - last known location. )

Scotlandspeople has a Daisy Cuthill(other surname Drysdale) death 1974 , Alloa Clackmannan , born c1903

Mary (1891-?) married John Young ( Paisley)
Also a death Mary Young(other surname Cuthill) 1950 , Paisley Renfrew , born c1891.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline CEC

• RootsChat Extra
  • vires acquirit eundo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Dear EV,
Many thanks for the information - much appreciated.
The realisation that their surname 'evolved' only struck me a few months ago. I believed they were from Kirkcaldy and put all my efforts into chasing ghosts over there - trust that town to have a clan of Cuthills!
Thanks again for your time and input.
Regards,
Colin
Paterson - Stoneykirk ;

Offline LizL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin, I realise this is an old post and I have been in contact with you before via Ancestry where you were kind enough to help me out with some information on the family. I have, in my tree, Janet McPherson Cuthel 1863-86. Her daughter, Lily, was boarded/adopted with my Montgomery relatives in Paisley. John Bonnar and Mary Montgomery have Lily listed as their daughter on 1891 census living at 3 Carriagehill, Paisley and in 1901 at 18 Neilston Road in Paisley. Lily's children are John Bonnar Cathell b 1904, Jessie Kerr Bonnar b1906, Thomas Brady b1911 and Andrew Brady b1913. [My own line is the Gordon, Donnelly line and on the 1911 census members of the Bonnar, Cathell, Brady, Ross, Donnelly and Gordon family are all somewhat related and residing 51 Neilston Road]. Lily died in Paisley in 1933, her last known residence 22 Alice street in Paisley. Being only peripherally connected to my own family, I haven't researched all her children but at least one of the males, John, carried the Cathell surname. I wonder if you have researched the Bonnar or Brady line for other descendants? Good luck with the search. I reside still in Paisley, Renfrewshire, and happy to help with local information if I can.

Offline CEC

• RootsChat Extra
  • vires acquirit eundo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 19 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Greetings LizL and good to hear from you.
I recently found that Jane Shaw Byers married David Halbert Watson in Paisley in 1961.
I also found a son of the same name born 1976 in Paisley. I reckon there will be children between 1961 & 76 but there are tons of Watson births during this period so I have not yet identified them.
Like you, I am in the area based in Uplawmoor. I am still seeking a living Cuthill relative but this too has eluded me.
Hope your festive season went well.
Regards,
Colin
Paterson - Stoneykirk ;