Author Topic: Thomas Bailey b c1770  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Bailey b c1770
« on: Saturday 23 April 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thomas Bailey and Ann Roberts married at Witham on the Hill 7th October 1794, that seems certain.

Ann was baptised on 9th September 1770 in Colby and her parents were Peter Roberts (possibly born in Witham on the Hill, and suspect he was the son of Thomas Roberts) and Ann Musson b 1749 Swinstead.
Thomas Roberts was I think born in Grantham in 1770.

Can anyone help me with Thomas Bailey please?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bailey b c1770
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thomas was of Grantham on the Marriage Record.
Is that where they had their Children?
A Mary Bailey was a Witness to the Marriage.

Do you have a Burial for Thomas/Ann?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
BURIALS;
St Wulfrum, Grantham
ANN Bailey, Widow, 28 Dec 1847, age 77 (1770) abode Spittlegate
THOMAS Bailey, 29 March 1840, age 74  (1766***) abode Spittlegate
(FreeREG)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish

I thought I had posted a reply to this, but not so!

Thank you for your help. I did not know there was a witness to Thomas Bailey's marriage. Mary, could be his sister. Perhaps you have a different source than I have. Are there any other witnesses please?

The burial was most interesting, I did not have that, so thanks. So if this is so, then Thomas is four years older than I thought. The date I have was given to me by someone else as a possible, so this burial age could well be right. Even considering sometimes those that survived them did not know for sure what age they were, even the person themselves was sometimes unsure.

Spittlegate makes sense.

Now I am wondering if he is the Thomas Bailey baptised in Barrowby in 1766, there is another, very unconfirmed connection with Barrowby. That village is close to Grantham.

Yes the children were brought up in Grantham as far as I can see.

Thanks again, Trish. Love your picture with the little one.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Thanks, I love that picture too. She she  is 7 now and was my 1st Grandchild.

The 1794 Marriage is on FreeREG;
Under Thomas BAYLEY
Notes; by Banns. Both mark. witnesses: Mary BAILEY & John SANDY. m: C.W. JOHNSON Vicar.

It is possible Mary was a Sister;
A MARY Baily was Baptised 30 Oct 1768, All Saints, Barrowby to WILLIAM/RUTH
THOMAS Baily and ROBERT Baily Baptised 1 Sept 1766 same Parents (not necessarily Twins)
+ other Children;
WILLIAM Bailey, 23 June 1752 (Fathers occcp Labourer on this one) (Buried 11 Dec 1753, age under 2)
RICHARD Bailey, 17 Nov 1754
WILLIAM Bailey, 3 Feb 1757
SARAH Baley, 19 April 1761

All on FreeREG;

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Trish.

That all sent me on a long interesting search in another direction as well!!!!

By contacting someone else as I thought he might be connected, he went off searching again and found he had to make a correction to his research to put it right. He was glad I wrote to him.

So all in all a very successful query.

It would appear that Mary was Thomas's sister. This all does seem to be the right family. Thank you very much.

Of course one answer brings up three more questions - when will we ever learn!! Never I suspect we enjoy the puzzles!!!

Thank you again, Trish.

Best wishes
Pelican

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Your very welcome Pelican.

BURIALS;
All Saints, Barrowby
WILLIAM Baily, 24 March 1774, age 17, Son of William, died of Putrid Fever, abode Barrowby
( Birth c 1757)
WILLIAM Baily, 06 May 1774, age 42, abode Barrowby , Father of William Baily-Putrid Fever
(Birth c 1732)
RUTH Bailey, 06 Sep 1794, no age given
(FreeREG)

So Son William and Father William died of Putrid Fever a few weeks apart, how sad.

Epidemic typhus (also called "camp fever", "jail fever", "hospital fever", "ship fever", "famine fever", "putrid fever", "petechial fever", "Epidemic louse-borne typhus," and "louse-borne typhus") is a form of typhus so named because the disease often causes epidemics following wars and natural disasters.

So cant find a Marriage for William/Ruth.

Trish :)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 June 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
So cant find a Marriage for William/Ruth.

Not far away, 1 Dec 1751 at Long Bennington
William BAILEY to Ruth PEARSON

About 4th line on the left http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=829537&iid=350670
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 June 16 03:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Trish. This has been a brick wall for so long. Bailey is a fairly common name and connecting up was very uncertain. However with your wonderful help we have it.  They are all ancestors of my great grandmother.

Those deaths are so sad, so close together. Must go looking and see if there was a disaster of some kind, or just very bad living conditions. Ruth survived her husband by 20 years and died just a month ahead of her son Thomas' wedding to Ann Roberts who are my direct ancestors.

Thank you too for the marriage of William and Ruth. Long Bennington has bells ringing, muted, but there is something somewhere. Certainly not far away from Barrowby.  Not far from Claypole either which has connections with my great grandfather, perhaps the bells are ringing there and not the Bailey's!

Sadly the name Ruth never came down this side of the family, perhaps it is in another line. Must go and look. That really would confirm it all!!!! This family were very regular in passing down names, particularly surnames which really has been a help in later generations!!

So many thanks.

Best wishes
Pelican