Author Topic: Catholic Burials near Aughnacloy  (Read 2467 times)

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Burials near Aughnacloy
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
 Has anyone any idea where Catholic people were buried in the Aughnacloy area? The Chapel in the main street was not built until around 1900 but there must be an older graveyard. I know there were three barn type churches at Dernabane which was known as  the Quarry Chapel, Killens and the Hopps chapel near Caledon, There are no burial records as far as I know. Any help would be appreciated,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Burials near Aughnacloy
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. I phoned and got the information I needed. In case anyone else is interested Catholics were buried in a Church of Ireland cemetery off the Aughnacloy to Ballygawley  road. There are some headstones  but no surviving records.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. I phoned and got the information I needed. In case anyone else is interested Catholics were buried in a Church of Ireland cemetery off the Aughnacloy to Ballygawley  road. There are some headstones  but no surviving records.

Which Cemetery?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
The priest just said the Church of Ireland cemetery. I googled Tullyvar Road and cemetery and there is a photo of the gates. I won't rush to visit as its unlikely there is a headstone. Another brick wall!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
The burial I am  interested in would be in the 1840s. I have checked Carnteel C of I for baptisms etc but I think this person was a Catholic married to a  Protestant. Her children are in the C of I records but at least three married Catholics. Their Father died a young man and she was left with small children and  a 30 acre farm which she seems to have managed to keep. Her name was Catherine Conway and she married  Thomas Henderson about 1808. I could not find the marriage. Maybe she just came from a different parish and is buried there but as I don'tknow when she died I am grasping at straws! I am not even sure she was Catholic but it seems odd that her son's would marry as they did.

Offline EllenMcKenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 February 20 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. I found this information very useful. I am looking for family members born prior to 1845 in Aughnacloy to  Peter/Neles McNamee a shoemaker. This explains why I can not find any births except one in 1846.
Ellen

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 February 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Civil registration of births only started in Ireland in 1864. So, before that date, church records (if they are in existence) will need to be found, and you will need an idea of location (parish if not actual townland) and religion.

Have a look at this free site: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/154-update-to-the-civil-records-3

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo