Author Topic: Brennan Johnduffswood Old Leighlin Carlow  (Read 1622 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan Johnduffswood Old Leighlin Carlow
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
I have Timothy Brennan wife Elizabeth(Troy) on the 1901  & 1911 censuses.
There is a son Patrick in 1911 single.age 33.  I am interested in locating a possible marriage for Patrick sometime after 1911. Thank you

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan Johnduffswood Old Leighlin Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ballydw
    the problem with finding marriages for a man with a fairly common name is where could
his wife be from as most marriages take place in the bride's parish she could be from a different county so not easy to find.

Dathai

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
thanks Dathai :)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 census this family state that Timothy BRENNAN and Eliza TROY were married 35 years and had 8 children

I thought I was onto something here as there are baptisms for 7 children with these parents and the correct address, interestingly only Patrick seems to be the exception! but there is a baptism where the mother's surname is not given that shows he married.

This baptism, LINK, shows he married Margaret Kavanagh, a widow, August 12 1909 in the parish of Muckalee; however he is shown as single in 1911 on the census!

On checking Margaret Kavanagh actually married Michael Comerford LINK and obviously the priest wrote the information onto the wrong line of the book!!

Food for thought when researching!

It can be a way to search to see if a Catholic married to see if it recorded on their baptism and many were.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 census this family state that Timothy BRENNAN and Eliza TROY were married 35 years and had 8 children

I thought I was onto something here as there are baptisms for 7 children with these parents and the correct address, interestingly only Patrick seems to be the exception! but there is a baptism where the mother's surname is not given that shows he married.

This baptism, LINK, shows he married Margaret Kavanagh, a widow, August 12 1909 in the parish of Muckalee; however he is shown as single in 1911 on the census!

On checking Margaret Kavanagh actually married Michael Comerford LINK and obviously the priest wrote the information onto the wrong line of the book!!

Food for thought when researching!

It can be a way to search to see if a Catholic married to see if it recorded on their baptism and many were.
Thank you myluck.  Obviously the marriage entry is incorrect as he is single in 1911. Thank you for your help