Author Topic: McIver families, Patrick Mciver, Margaret Hillis  (Read 4167 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McIver families, Patrick Mciver, Margaret Hillis
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Ahhh...not that one! You need Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, the official home of all the Scottish BMDs and original census images. For the periods we are talking about, you will be able to view the certificates for BMDs online.

It is a pay to view site, but costs are reasonable. There is a promotion going on till the end of the month which gives you 20 free credits to use on the site (see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=745416.msg5925508 for more details).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ah, I used those credits already:-) I thought maybe that information would show up on the search on Ancestry but it doesn't.

Ancestry.com also does not show any 1911 census, wonder why?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People is the only source of Scottish census images and the only place which has the Scottish 1911 census in any form. It is the official GROS partner and 'shop window' to these records.

Monica  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:54 BST (UK) »
You can only view Scotland 1911 census on SP.

Can you tell us how old Margaret Hillis was when she married Patrick please?

Annie

ADDED....Sorry Monica......crossed posts  ;D

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
The wording here is confusing....

"Margaret's parents were Hugh Hilles and Elizabeth Finagan  Hillis married Feb.3, 1850 in Edinburgh"

Was this the marriage of Margaret's parents?

It's the details of Margaret's marriage we need although the names of her parents is equally important.

Where in Edinburgh were they married as this may help in finding her either remarried or having died.

Can you tell us what is written on Patrick's 2nd marriage please? Is Margaret's name mentioned, is he a widower/previously married to........?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Margaret and Patrick were married on May 3, 1869 in Edinburgh parish, Midlothian and she was 18 years old.

In the 1871 Patrick is there with Margaret.  The next census I have is 1891 and in that one he is listed as married but no Margaret is shown. His housekeeper is listed Mary McLaughin, unmarried and a child Maggie McIver McLaughin. So I assume that is a child of his with Mary but they did not get married.

So in that span of time, 20 years Margaret has either died or they got divorced

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 April 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Divorce was very much in the realms of the very wealthy and very difficult, even then, to have a divorce granted.

I would think more likely that Patrick and Margaret separated. This explains why he showed as married still on the census entries you have for him in 1891 & 1901. Likely also explains why he was not in a position to marry Mary McLaughlin...

We are missing the 1881 census for Margaret and children. Ev's find in 1881 for Patrick in Dundee would fit well for him, except for place of birth (but sometimes mistakes creep in for odd entries).

Which of Patrick's children is your direct line? You have mentioned Hugh and Lizzie being sent to NS as Home Children. No mention of eldest Peter? Maybe he died young if you haven't been able to find him.

Monica

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 April 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
Lizzie was my great grandmother.  What really drew me to that side of the family was the fact that she and her brother Hugh came to Nova Scotia with Emma Sterling. Emma Sterling ran several homes for poor children, waifs and unwanted children in Edinburgh. She was a founder of the Children's Aid Society there. I wish I knew if they had any records of the children in the homes.

I can't imagine their father Patrick just giving them up unless he and Margaret did separate and she took the children. Maybe she could not cope or did die and the children ended up in the home that way. Peter would have been 16 when Lizzie came to Nova Scotia and back then he would have been out on his own in the world.

Funny how Lizzie has taken over my life:-) I have the whole other side of the family her husband's the Robertson's to get too and there seems to be thousands of John Robertson's!!

I think that my only chance of finding more is to sit back and hope that my family tree on Ancestry catches someone's eye.  There might be a family tree of Margaret's brothers and that might show what happened to her.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 April 16 23:48 BST (UK) »
I don't think you have mentioned where Margaret Hillis was born?

Annie