Author Topic: Atholl Square, Douglas?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline dmbtmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Atholl Square, Douglas?
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

was just wondering if anyone knew where this was? Can't seem to find it on current maps. My 2xgt grandfather lived at No.2 Atholl Sq. according to 1871 census, and I was just trying to get a sense of the house and its environs.

Many thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Atholl Square, Braddon?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
Parts of Douglas were in Braddan Parish in 1871?

So, maybe it's Douglas?
There is still an Athol Street in Douglas.

Go back a few pages, and you will find Shaw's Brow.
That area is now a multi-storey car-park.

South of Athol Street, is a parallel, unnamed street.
Shaw's Brow Car-Park is between that street and Barrack Street; and between Church Street and Lord Street.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dmbtmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Atholl Square, Douglas?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
Yep - sorry - it is Douglas. I'll have a look on GE for a suitable candidate for a square. Shaw's Brow was before it on the census.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
The main entrance to Shaw's Brow car-park is from Church Street.

If that helps!

I walk past every night, on my way to the pub! ;D

There's nothing on my 1919 Street Plan, from Black's Guide.
But there were a lot of clearances in the 1890's.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 April 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
If you look at the occupations in Athol Square, you will find:

Lath Splitter
Tailor
Joiner
Blacksmith
Horseshoer
Carter
Cabinet Maker    etc.

Most houses seem to be of multiple occupation?

Offline dmbtmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Good work! Many thanks! I did think there seemed to be quite a lot of people in each property; I was trying to gauge whether they would have been crammed in like sardines. What do you think is the significance of the fact that there were multiple occupations? Sorry if I'm missing a hint. Rather new to all this.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 16 07:26 BST (UK) »
I found this on wikipedia, and it is repeated in ManxNotebook:

The Douglas Town Commissioners also designed to alter the anachronistic architecture of Douglas, built during the era of fishing and trading, and no longer amenable or safe for tourists. The proportion of the Manx population living in Douglas was also expanding, with 35% living there by 1891. The Victorian and later modernisation of the town was achieved at the expense of the original maze-like layout of the oldest streets. These were cleared away in the new street schemes and slum clearances of the 1870s to 1920s. The town's infrastructure was radically altered in order to convenience tourists, and in 1878, the Loch Promenade was constructed. In 1870, there were 60,000 visitors annually, by 1884, this had grown to 182,000.

And comments from J. Brown, writing about Douglas in the 19th century (and also available on ManxNotebook):
Considerations of space enable me to devote myself to only a mere brief statement of other slumming parts of Douglas. Among these might be mentioned Water Lane, Society Lane, Fancy Street, Hanover Street, Bigwell Street, Little Ireland (or more generally known as " Little Hell "), Athol Court, Shaw's Brow, the " Back Street " (now known as Market Street), Quilliam's Court, Tynwald Court, the district still known as " Senna." In my young days these unsavoury districts, with their utter want of sanitary methods, were a distinct danger to the health of the town, and certainly contributed an undue proportion to the death rate. It is indeed something to be thankful for that the majority of them have been improved, off the face of the earth, or so altered and improved as to be no longer a menace to the public health.

Offline dmbtmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - especially for signposting to the ManxNoteBook. The area seems at once charming and squalid!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
I paid a trip to the Manx Museum Library this morning (I was going there anyway!)
Found this description:

Athol Square or Court
A small cul-de-sac off Shaw's Brow, it was opposite the cut-through from Athol Street and immediately to the rear of the former Lancastrian School on which site Heritage Court was built in 1986/7.

I also took some photo's of some large street maps - which I have attached.