Author Topic: To be native of specific parish...Norham Durham Northumberland Mary Ann Metcalf  (Read 4564 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: To be native of specific parish...
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
As it's the mother, Jane Steel, you are looking for I was going to suggest that you looked towards a Presbyterian baptism and a cross-border marriage as that area was strongly Presbyterian.  But the Haggerston RC baptism of Mary Ann has thrown me a bit on that idea!

As for linking Jane to a family in Crookham - I see her husband was a native of Ford so it's not so unlikely.

I'll be at the archives tomorrow - anything specific you could use a look-up on?

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer. I have looked at Scotland's People to no avail and having to pay to see the indexed results makes it expensive. There seems to be a few different Steel's mentioned as I flick through the images of the Haggerston, Ancroft Roman Catholic baptisms available on Ancestry.  A Jane Steel is sponsor to a Robert Hunter infant in 1793 and Mary Jane Boyd in 1795.  The Boyd mother was apparently nee Margaret Steel (info from relative in USA).
I found a burial on Free Reg for a "Jane Mitcalfe" in 1848 and applied for a death certificate for "Jane Metcalf" yesterday. Burial 9 Sep 1848 at St Cuthbert, Bedlington  aged 67. Abode Cowpen Square, Parish of Horton. So that would give an estimated birth year of 1781. Her husband Cornelius is buried at St Alban, Earsdon. I cannot find Jane on the 1841 Census nor eldest daughter in 1841 who seems to prefer to be called "Maria". Maria Nicholson (nee Mary Ann Archibald Metcalf) who says she is born Blyth.
The eldest son's baptism appears at both Haggerston and Berwick Upon Tweed same dates but 1804 and 1805.  His name was Thomas Steel Metcalf. The Thomas Steel name carried through in her daughters' families.  Looking at the front paper for the Berwick Upon Tweed record I think this was some sort of requirement of the Roman Catholic Church to make sure non-conformist were recording these events.
There are a Thomas Steel and Ann Weir (aka Wier/Wear) who married 10 Aug 1783 at Ford. Between children's baptisms on Free Reg at Ford (some also recorded on Family Search) I have worked out he is native of Kyloe and also gives what number daughter.  The first daughter's baptism is missing and I found a burial for a 12 year old daughter Ann who does not have baptism recorded-
or I may be on the wrong track!
I looked at the North East Inheritance database and found two Steel's for Kyloe and some of the beneficiaries mentioned in these probate documents seem to be associated with the baptisms at Haggerston:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-67X9-SQT?i=33&wc=95X1-HZ3%3A1170950088%3Fcc%3D2353049&cc=2353049

Halfway down page:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6GB7-W4M?i=607&wc=SDFL-VZ9%3A1310046866%3Fcc%3D2365059&cc=2365059

Hence my confusion and I should get this transferred to the Northumberland Board by the Mods.

Many thanks for reading :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
I've printed that off and will see what I can come up with.

Jane obviously moved to the other side of Blyth after Cornelius died but Cowpen Square was not the nicest of places to live - financial constraints perhaps?  I wonder why she was buried in Bedlington rather than Horton Churchyard.

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 02:17 BST (UK) »
You are a gem :)
It will be interesting to get the death certificate (could take a few weeks to get here). I am sure it must be her. I hope it has who her husband was as his name is so distinctive. The daughters were living in Wapping and Ridley Terrace in Blyth, per England 1851 Census.
I have looked up the Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts for Kyloe, Durham. I looked for the burials I found for Steel on Family Search for Kyloe.
I also found Eleanor Moody of Haggerstone, Parish of Ancroft Burial 6 June 1824 aged 95. Born abt 1729. No wonder her brother William Steel is asking his nephews to be kind to her in his will!
Aaron Boyd and Margaret Steel whose daughter was sponsored by Jane Steel in 1795: Aaron is mentioned as beneficiary of Thomas Steel, late of Berrington in the Chapelry of Kyloe, Yeoman.  Waiting to hear back from descendants in USA.
James Hunter and Dorothy (maiden name unknown).  James Hunter was a sponsor at baptism of Mary Ann Archibald Metcalf. Jane Steel was a sponsor at Robert Hunter's 1793 birth.
James Hunter may be a corn miller from Berryburn Mill, Berrington. Also found a Thomas Steel listed as a farmer at Smeafield (Kyloe).
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=MbA3AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA337&lpg=PA337&dq=thomas+steel+AND+smeafield+Kyloe&source=bl&ots=fikNp4jE0k&sig=DS-IGQVVZkH62k35qgFeh1ccMKU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3nJui0a3MAhUQ8mMKHcYJDlUQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=thomas%20steel%20AND%20smeafield%20Kyloe&f=false
I have found the marriage of Nicholas Steel and Elizabeth Lisle and found him on future Census. Baptisms of children also at Haggerston and probably the Nicholas mentioned in will.
Many BDM's not found for the parents of children baptised at Haggerston. Tricky stuff.
Writing this hurriedly as getting ready for work after annual leave :P
Appreciate any help.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: To be native of specific parish...Norham Durham Northumberland Mary Ann Metcalf
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
I so hate not finding things!  It seems that when it comes to RC records Ancestry has almost as many as Woodhorn.  :-\  I rummaged around a few things but didn’t come up with anything you haven’t already found.  The problem is that none of the records go back further than about 1790, some 1800, which is too recent to be of use.

I think I can shed some light one the two baptism entries for Thomas though.  The Berwick records are microfilm of the original book and the date is entered sequentially as 11 March 1805.  The Haggerston records are old, hand-written transcripts which start with this statement – ‘A long narrow book of 45 double pages, some slips gummed in at the beginning’  One of those slips was the information on Thomas with the date 1804.  I would therefore say that the Berwick date is the correct one.  Interestingly his name is given as Thomas Steel Mitcall, parents Cornelius and Jane Mitcall.

Sorry there’s not more – need to ponder on what else might be done.

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: To be native of specific parish...Norham Durham Northumberland Mary Ann Metcalf
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine...it's a genealogical torment!

I am assuming Jane's father is called Thomas Steel. Cornelius Metcalf's parents were Joseph and Mary.

Children of Cornelius Metcalf and Jane Steel in birth order:

Mary Ann Archibald Metcalf
Thomas Steel Metcalf
Joseph Metcalf
Jane Metcalf  (mine)

I do not know how the "Archibald" comes into it.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
I found a transcript on the shelves at Woodhorn today called ‘Papist Returns 1767’ apparently completed in response to an order by the House of Lords.

It’s a bit too early to be of immediate assistance but possibly useful eventually.  Each parish has a list of all RC parishioners all usefully alphabetical, giving their ages and showing  how long they have been in the parish.  Here are the Steel(e)   entries

Holy Island

Margaret, 60, Wife of William, residence not given
William, 70, Farmer 36 years
Ann, 28, Spinster, born here
James, 24, Day labourer, born here

Kyloe

Ann, 50, Servants wife, born here
Barbara, 28, Servant, born here
James, 70, Labourer, born here
Margaret, 65, Wife of James, born here
Robert, 50, Servant, 30 years

Norham

Dorothy, - , daughter of Thomas, 5 years
Elizabeth, 34, sister of Thomas, 4 years
Thomas, 30, Widower, 7 years
William, 3, son of Thomas, 3 years

It’s almost like a mini-census and it may be possible to follow some of them forward to connect with the information you already have.

Christine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 May 16 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for input. Christine that was an excellent find.  How lucky it was alphabetical!

Marriage (per Free Reg) ???

Tomas Steel (groom's parish Kyloe)
Mary Armstrong (bride's parish Balmbrough)
21 May 1761
St Aidan Bamburgh
Witnesses: William Ostens & John Foggat

There was a Thomas Steel living at Norham Moor (about 1791) who had his saddles stolen:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=KBhlAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA5&dq=%22norham+moor%22+AND+thomas+Steel&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5tJrVlcLMAhVLkJQKHQQSA-cQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=%22norham%20moor%22%20AND%20thomas%20Steel&f=false

If the Thomas in Norham in 1767 is widowed with small children he may have had another spouse; however, finding marriages is near impossible so far.

I have discovered there is both a Jane Mitcalf and Jane Metcalf death  registered in Tynemouth in 1848.  I will have to see if the death certificate I ordered is right, but would match the timing of the burial in Bedlington. I will let you know how I get on with that.