Author Topic: Ancestry of Elizabeth Williams nee Kerridge, my Grandmother  (Read 3656 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry of Elizabeth Williams nee Kerridge, my Grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all of you who replied so quickly to my request.  I had considered that there was a daughter born earlier to Elizabeth and John Williams, but my mother (who died in 1997) had never mentioned that possibility.  Although if she did I have forgotten, it was so many years ago and I never thought then to write things down.  I have more questions to ask on two daughters: Martha and Mary who were born between 1896 and 1898, but the information I have on them is only up until the 1901 Census.
Thank you again
Roy Willard

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
From freebmd - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

There is only one Elizabeth Kerridge b Salford between the years 1874 and 1878

June Quarter 1875, district Salford, vol 8d, page 130

Could be her.   The censuses should have her with her parents.

Freebmd has a birth of an Elizabeth Kerridon Q3 1877 on transcript but image says kerridge 8d 165
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all of you who replied so quickly to my request.  I had considered that there was a daughter born earlier to Elizabeth and John Williams, but my mother (who died in 1997) had never mentioned that possibility.  Although if she did I have forgotten, it was so many years ago and I never thought then to write things down.  I have more questions to ask on two daughters: Martha and Mary who were born between 1896 and 1898, but the information I have on them is only up until the 1901 Census.
Thank you again
Roy Willard

Ancestry has Laurence's service record for WW1, it lists five children John born 2 May 1901, Lawrence Joseph, Nellie, Lilian and I think the last one b 1913 is Florence (not easy to read). Possibly Mary and Martha had died by 1914 when he enlisted.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie99 and LizzieL

Thank you for your research. 
Rosie99 the information you obtained from the 'LancashireOPC' is very good, in particular this entry:
Baptism 5 Sep 1877 Christ Church, Salford, Lancashire
Elisabeth Kerridge - Parents John Kerridge & Elisabeth
Born 21 Aug 1877
Abode 20 Cranbourne St.
Occupation Wheelwright

About two months ago I paid approx. £25.00 to the website: Find my Past to gain data they held on the '1939 Register', then over that period I searched thoroughly for information on my wife's and my Family's grandparents.  The payment allowed for five 'Downloads', four of which were successful. 

As you may realise I was not entirely successful with my last search with regard to my Grandmother: Elizabeth Williams.  However and LizzieL with regard to your data, I knew there was another son: Ernest Williams, he was born 6th October 1916.  I met him in 1992 at my parents home in Robertsbridge, Sussex.

After Elizabeth's husband: Laurence Joseph Williams (Private 11043) was killed on 9th July 1916 at 'The Somme' she made an application for the War Widow's Pension, she provided to the War Office the Birth Certificate of Ernest (along with the other Certificates).  As a result she received a Pension in the amount of 29 Shillings a week.  The name and date of birth of Ernest is shown on her husband's: Attestation Papers, but is very faint to read.

My fifth and final request to 'Find my Past' was for information on: Ernest Williams and his wife: Leah Williams nee Crossley.  I could see that there was one other person at their house on the 1939 Register, but no name until I downloaded the data.

The 'Download' showed Ernest and Leah, the third person was I believe: Elizabeth Gerrity or Garrity, or something quite different.  The Transcription provided shows: Elizabeth Germily.  Disappointingly for me it did not show: Elizabeth Williams, the text reads as:
Gerrity Elizabeth, F, 21 Aug 1877, M, Spinster, Laundress (Retired)
They were all residing at 58 Barker Street, Manchester in 1939.

What now stands out (at least for me) is the date of birth: 21 Aug 1877, exactly the same as the data that Rosie99 provided.  Needless to say I have tried on the Family websites all permutations of the name and got not very far.  I do not believe that my Grandmother would have remarried, because and it's only a belief: she would have lost her War Widow's Pension.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Roy Willard

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the image  for 1939 I think it looks like Gerrity. I also think there was some confusion as she has been entered as M ie married with spinster written underneath.

However there is a marriage
June Quarter
Williams    Elizabeth   
 Gerrity    Christopher
Manchester   
Volume 8d   
Page 510    

Looking for the same marriage www.lancashirebmd.org.uk you get the information that
Elizabeth Williams married Christopher Gerrity and the additional info that her name had been Elizabeth Kerridge.

I think you can say you have found her in 1939 and that she remarried in 1919 and became Elizabeth Gerrity.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
and maybe her death reg?
FreeBMD
Elizabeth Gerrity
Mar qtr 1965
age 87
Salford
10f 629

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
Gibel and Suzard

Thank you.
When I started my research on Laurence J Williams and my Grandmother Elizabeth I was fortunate to find the Manchester Regiment Group Forum, the information and help was tremendous. 

A further benefit was that two brothers who were the Grandchildren of; John Williams a brother to my Mum, had used the Forum and as a result wrote to me, we were able to exchange information that was unknown to us each and maintain a contact that was not possible before.

I will now contact them and pass on the good information that you and everybody else on Rootschat has sent to me.

I will carry on looking into the history of my Mum's two elder sisters: Mary and Martha.  My Mum was five when her father was killed in action and she was nineteen when she moved in 1930 from Salford to Roberstbridge, her elder sister Nellie aged twenty one went to Robertsbridge in 1927.  They both lived and worked at the Darvell Hall TB Sanatorium in the village, until they both married: my Mum to George Alfred Willard, Aunt Nellie to Seth Barden.

My Mum always spoke fondly of her sister Mary, but if she told me that she had married or passed away I cannot remember.

Thank you again

Roy Willard

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Gibel

Good afternoon, when you replied to me yesterday:

« Reply #13 on: Today at 14:25 »
Having looked at the image  for 1939 I think it looks like Gerrity. I also think there was some confusion as she has been entered as M ie married with spinster written underneath.

You mention that you had: 'looked at the image', just out of interest I had tried to send a copy of the 1939 Register (download) that showed my Grandmother: Elizabeth, but a message popped up to say that the file was too big, so as far as I know it was not sent.  Do you know if I was successful in sending the copy without knowing it?

What I tend to do now and from the keyboard is use 'Printscreen', at least that way I have the direct image of what I am looking at and not always relying on 'Transcriptions'.

Thanks
Roy Willard

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 15:39 BST (UK) »
I looked at the image on the site on FindMyPast. preview gets you to a transcript and you can choose to see the image which opens on the site. I made no attempt to download it.