Author Topic: MATTHEWS AND MANDER(S), Warwickshire  (Read 1521 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
MATTHEWS AND MANDER(S), Warwickshire
« on: Monday 25 April 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all :)

My 4x great grandparents seem to have been married 13 Oct 1817 at Coventry, Holy Trinity. Their names were Benjamin Matthews and Elizabeth Mander. The marriage took place witnessed by Hannah Lauseill(??) and Robert Mander (a possible father or brother of Elizabeth?).

I think that Benjamin was perhaps the Benjamin Matthews who was christened 20 Apr 1795 at Berkswell, with parents John and Ann. (Feel free to challenge that because I'm not perfectly sure that they're his parents). He is shown on the censuses to be born around 1796 in Warwickshire, with a variety of placenames mentioned (including - and I quote -, 'Backswoth', 'Barknvell').

Elizabeth, on the other hand, has been much harder to find. Could she be the Elizabeth Manders baptized at Wolston on 26 May 1794, with father Richard? She is recorded as being born at Wolston on the following censuses (1851, 1861, 1871) around 1794-1796.

If you think any of these are correct, it would be a great help if you could help me find their mother's names (and maiden surnames). Then again, if you think they're wrong then feel free to suggest others! ;D

Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MATTHEWS AND MANDER(S), Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello
This is difficult .I'm surprised how hard it is to find the records of Wolston.
I think this is  her parents
Richard Mander of Wrappenbury bach and Mary Copland of Wolston banns 18th May 1788 in Wolston or 1789 in Wrappenbury- no sign of the actual marriage record.

Will see what I can find on the Matthews

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Me again.
I've not found that marriage for John and Ann Matthews but it does look as though the couple lived in Elmdon .

There's a Will for John Matthews of Elmdon 1816 and his father Samuel Matthews senior 1787
The former doesn't mention Benjamin but names his sons William and Samuel and daughter Ann
The latter is a yeoman with wife Mary ,children John,Samuel,Elizabeth Johnson,Mary Weaver and Ann Piddock.Grandsons Richard Smith and John Johnson.
There is another John Matthews 1761 of Elmdon also on the FindMyPast website (but it won't load),where you can view the Wills or you can get a copies by post from the Staffordshire Names Index website.

Ciderdrinker

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Me again.
I've not found that marriage for John and Ann Matthews but it does look as though the couple lived in Elmdon .

There's a Will for John Matthews of Elmdon 1816 and his father Samuel Matthews senior 1787
The former doesn't mention Benjamin but names his sons William and Samuel and daughter Ann
The latter is a yeoman with wife Mary ,children John,Samuel,Elizabeth Johnson,Mary Weaver and Ann Piddock.Grandsons Richard Smith and John Johnson.
There is another John Matthews 1761 of Elmdon also on the FindMyPast website (but it won't load),where you can view the Will or you can get a copy by post from the Staffordshire Names Index website.

Ciderdrinker

Thank you for all of this - I'll have a look over it myself as soon as possible.  :)

Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Matthewsgrahame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
John Matthews probably married Anne Heath on 25/10/1774 at Hampton in Arden which is fairly close to Berkswell (English Marriages 1538-1973)