Author Topic: McNaivr from Glassary or Kilmartin parishes.  (Read 1510 times)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McNaivr from Glassary or Kilmartin parishes.
« on: Monday 25 April 16 20:35 BST (UK) »

Looking for parents or siblings of Sarah McNair b abt 1810.  Married Donald McDonald. Both emigrated to Ontario, Canada. Not certain if marriage was in Scotland  Or Canada.  Sarah died 1883 in Ontario.

Thanks

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McNaivr from Glassary or Kilmartin parishes.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
The only one in all of Argyll...might be her might not.

To get the siblings go to Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in the OPR section enter the surname McNair and in the Parent name box enter just Alexander and in the other box enter just Sara this method will provide a list of any of the Siblings.  You have to purchased a minimum of 30 credits but this search will only cost you one credit.  Btw...these will be the baptism dates.

12/02/1806 MCNAIR SARA ALEXANDER MCNAIR/SARA CLARKE FR235 (FR235) F GLASSARY /ARGYLL 511/00 0010 0230

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McNaivr from Glassary or Kilmartin parishes.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this and the nudge to SP.  I had enough credits and found the baptism record. "Illegitimate child" born to Alexander Mc Nair and Sarah Clarke. I am too old to be tech savy but tried to search for marriage for these two and or to others - nothing.  Searched for death for Sarah Clarke in case - nothing.  So obviously hard to find sibs.  Would the child have been given his surname even if parents weren't married?
Will try to match bapt date and look for emigration to Canada.

Thanks again.   Jan

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McNair from Glassary or Kilmartin parishes.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 13:48 BST (UK) »

Since it seems Alexander McNair was named and/or fessed up to being the father I'm wondering if anyone knows the customs of the day. Would the couple have been forced to marry? Whether or not he married the mother would the child have his surname?
Since tge geography and timing are right I'm still working to see if this Sarah McNair could have found her way to Canada .... And become my GG Grandma McDonald.

Jan