Author Topic: McKay and Macdonald married in shetland then ????  (Read 12567 times)

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKay and Macdonald married in shetland then ????
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 05 May 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
To date I have..... Marion( sarah on cert) mckay marraige to robert crawford 1911 they divorced 1920 then married alexander macdonald 1925 ( morag on this cert). She died 1956 ( marion on this cert)..looks like she couldn't decide which name she prefered haha...I have tried looking under all names for birth but finding nothing...

She is on 1891 census age 4 with mum jessie mckay...
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 07 May 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
Another piece of the puzzle......

Marion MacInnes/MacDonald died 31 Oct 1895, Garrynamonie, Boisdale, S/Uist

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
After a long search i finally found Marion ( great grandmother) birth cert....Interesting that she was born on barra and not south uist...now to try and fit it all together..xx

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 02 June 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Was it common practice to travel / live in many different islands in the Hebrides...Would the wife's follow there husbands around....I have found that my ggg grandmother (jessie macdonald/maciness) was born in south uist. she married a man( roderick mckay) from Harris but they married in unst shetland...They then had my gg grandmother (marion mckay) in barra then returned to south uist following the death of her husband...She died there..... Very confusing  :)....
Jessies mother marion macdonald married Andrew Mcinness 18/11/1861 in benbecula, their marrage cert shows that they married in the "house of james macmillian" although this was a catholic marrage...It has taken a long time to fit this together and couldnt have done it without everyones help...SO now i need to find Andrew mcinness and carry on. !!!!  :)
cheers
jackie.