Author Topic: States boundaries changes  (Read 1738 times)

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: States boundaries changes
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Aghadowey.
I wonder if that book may have the map that i am looking for in it? (It is obviously not the same book as the genealogy book though.) I wouldn't want to buy it to find out it doesn't though. (Side note: It says the book is by Gary Alden Smith, that is the first time i have seen someone else with the same name Alden as my high school friend.)

(I was recently thinking that 'Empire State' seemed maybe a strange name for New York. Even though they say it is because leading position in population, wealth, and commercial enterprise. Is it connected with British Empire, or Roman Empire??)

New York was New Netherland incl New Amsterdam. (Some have called it New Jerusalem.)

New Sweden incl New Stockholm was roughly New Jersey?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sweden
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport,_New_Jersey )

I think that the same book with the map in it that i am looking for that i mentioned in original post said USA only chose English over German as national language by a few percent or few votes.

Edited by moderator
Bambrough, Swallow, Newman, Wildermoth, Italian pow (unknown surname) or Edwards, Poole.

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 April 16 07:50 BST (UK) »

I can't believe that no one knows or has seen the book and/or map that i asked about in the original post. (Though topic has only been read 130 times.)

Found some more info of interest, but still not found the book/map i need that i asked help to find.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_regions_of_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_United_States
plus the other two i already posted
usgenmap.rootsweb.ancestry.com/us1783.htm
cominganarchy.com/2010/05/25/which-jefferson/
Bambrough, Swallow, Newman, Wildermoth, Italian pow (unknown surname) or Edwards, Poole.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Number of times a thread has been read is not the same thing as the number of people reading it. In this instance I've probably read it around a dozen times.

You've only posted a few days ago so you'll need to be patient. Looking for a picture of a map in a book whose title you can't remember is a bit more difficult than asking to find a death record, census record, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 April 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
I have no knowledge of the book you are talking about, but everything you mentioned is on the below website. ( I have Texas linked)

http://www.mapofus.org/texas/

Just click on a state from the left margin and it will show  map of the state. Below the map is the County Formation years. The years listed are years when there was a change. Click on a year and the map will change with a text description in the upper right corner of the map with a description what change occurred.

I personally use the county census year maps and overlays in researching. Often a person may have never moved but description of their location on censuses can indicate they have when actually it was the boundaries is what changed. Or a territory or district in an earlier census is made into or added to a county(s) in later censuses.

Offline ealdred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 April 16 07:39 BST (UK) »

Ok Thanks Aghadowey. I guess the internet does tend to make even me unrealisingly impatient. (I also have had no response to the other two topics on Italian pow and on Bambrough.)
(I know/knew that the number of times read includes number of readings by same people including me.)

Thanks for the site link RJ.

I do still need/want to be able to find the map/book if i can. The map was very handy just like how RJ says that site is. I was able to look at it all in one map without having to be online or go through many pages.

The book was i think a genealogy basics/starters book. It had the map showing all the usa states boundaries changes, and a map of usa aquistitions, plus it mentioned in it that USA chose English over German by only a couple of votes or percent. I thought someone might recognise the map description.