Author Topic: Samuel King born c1765-1766 died 1843 Yarmouth  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel King born c1765-1766 died 1843 Yarmouth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there was another Samuel King baptised in 1772 – by Samuel and Sarah King, on 29  November.

So there were two Samuel King families in Yarmouth around that time.

Sorting out which is which won’t be easy, but here’s a start.

Samuel junior’s baptism –
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6LN7-3L7?mode=g&i=36&wc=92BV-HZF%3A30456601%2C29365801%2C31686502%3Fcc%3D1416598&cc=1416598

Samuel senior’s marriage to Sarah Jay, 18 August 1765 at Great Yarmouth –
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRZ4-KY?mode=g&i=74&wc=92B2-SP8%3A30456601%2C29373001%2C32151002%3Fcc%3D1416598&cc=1416598

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Samuel and Sarah married by licence, so had a look for their Bond – luckily it was near the beginning of the book!

Marriage bond for Samuel King and Sarah Jay, in 1765 (both living in Great Yarmouth)
I was very disappointed the marriage bond didn’t give Samuel’s occupation (which they sometimes do) which would have helped.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D4CQ-7J9?i=45&wc=M8VJ-PWL%3A160750101%2C160953901%2C161063301%3Fcc%3D1824690&cc=1824690

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help, everyone.

I am confused though as to why the NFHS publication of the Yarmouth baptisms has occupations for Samuel King in his children's baptisms in the registers for the early 1800s, when the ones I have seen do not. Is there any explanations in the notes? I assume this is BT and PR omissions but would like to know for sure.

I two have seen that there were two Samuel Kings both with sons called Samuel so it is making it very confusing.

However from what I can see Samuel King who married Sarah Jay in 1765 was a Methodist:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fRUHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=%22samuel+king%22+brazier+yarmouth&source=bl&ots=CjcOyiaIV8&sig=wPPjo47Wsfp3DJCOx3dtiMFQ2Cc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVu_-i367MAhWHPBQKHbG5BM4Q6AEILDAE#v=onepage&q=%22samuel%20king%22%20brazier%20yarmouth&f=false

There is also this inscription for Swanscombe in Kent for his daughter Judith Sarah King/Deverson/Stevens. This states her father was Samuel King was formerly of Yarmouth but later of Beccles, Suffolk.

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsSwanscombe/01.htm

"In this vault beneath whose silence had not previously been invaded for nearly a century are interred the remains of Judith Sarah STEVENS the wife of Mr William Stevens solicitor of Hatton Garden. The only grandchild and heir at law of William EVEREST Esq formerly of Fawkham in this County by his daughter Mildred who married Mr William Stevens of Woodmanstone in Surrey. The above named Judith Sarah was the th _ _ _ daughter of the late Mr Samuel KING formerly of Yarmouth and afterwards of Beccles in Suffolk. She died on the 17th day of January 1832 aged 61 years. Her father and mother whose maiden name was JAY were both eminently pious christians and brought up their children in the fear of God and their daughter Judith Sarah followed their bright example in fulfilling the various duties of the daughter, the sister, the wife, the mother and the friend. She was uniformly exemplary taking the Holy Scripture as the only rule of her faith and conduct. Her husband and children with an _ _ _ ( 4 more lines."

I tried to find a death for Samuel King in Beccles and did find a will from 1812.

http://www.dswebhosting.info/Suffolk/SRODServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Site31&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqSearch=(RefNo==%27IC%2FAA1%2F232%2F69%27)

Repository: Suffolk Record Office
Title:   Original will of Samuel King of Beccles
Ref No: IC/AA1/232/69

However the NRI on findmypast shows the burial entry gives an age and this Samuel King was born in c1773. I therefore assume that this is his son born in Yarmouth in 1772.

Given the fact Judith could write and their religions convictions in founding the Methodist congregation in 1781 (I think from the text) I rather assume that this might well be the Samuel King and Samuel King junior who are listed in the poll books as being braziers.

This would therefore imply that the other 1772 baptism of a Samuel to Samuel and Ann would be my Samuel. However there are two things which make this perhaps unlikely as firstly my Samuel did not name a daughter Ann and secondly there is the 1827 burial of a Samuel King born c1772 in Yarmouth. I therefore assume this is him.

So while we now know that my Samuel was originally a baker and son of Samuel King I do not seem sure of his baptism. His death age implies he was born in c1765-1766 which is a bit older than the 1772 ones and while this could of course be incorrect I am thinking that my Samuel could have been the son of a third Samuel entirely.

However while I am not sure who my Samuel was, the non-conformist Yarmouth Presbyterian registers do seem to heavily imply that he was born in 1743 as the son of Thomas and Mary King. The reason is that the 1743 baptism states that this Thomas King was a baker.

Samuel King, baker of Yarmouth, who died in 1811 (now apparently the father of my Samuel c1765/6-1843) is stated to be 66 in the Norfolk Chronicle and 69 on his burial entry so the ages do fit with this baptism.

I would be most grateful if anyone could offer their thoughts and see if they can help in any other way.

Many thanks,
Jon 

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
The index of the UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 show that Samuel King, brazier, is indeed the Samuel who married Sarah Jay.

The entries are for:

Master's Name:   Saml King
Apprentice Name:   Jno Nicoll
Residence Location:   Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Payment Date:   21 Apr 1787

Apprentice Name:   Stephen C Collins
Residence Location:   Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Payment Date:   20 Dec 1790

Apprentice Name:   Jno Crisp
Residence Location:   Great Yarmouth, Devon
Payment Date:   25 Jun 1791

Apprentice Name:   Robt Burgess
Residence Location:   Beccles, Suffolk
Payment Date:   5 Nov 1798

Therefore this Samuel King was in Beccles by 1798 so that 1812 burial is surely his son Samuel baptised in 1772.

So that is one branch eliminated and the search continues!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 April 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
And there are many Yarmouth poll books listed here which name Samuel King baker up to 1826.

http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/y/yarmouth/
http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/parish_links.shtml#voting

So did he become a baker (as stated in those 1800s baptisms of his children), stop being a baker for a time and work as a labourer (as stated in the 1810s baptisms), become a baker (1820s poll books) and then become a labourer again (1843 death certificate)?

Or was there another later Samuel King who was a baker?

The uncertainty continues!

Jon

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 April 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jon,

I'm wondering now whether the marriage in 1771 between Samuel King and Ann Belson could be your Samuel's parents.

They also married by Licence, but I've been searching the Bonds, and can't find it.

Yokel found a Samuel baptised by Samuel King and Ann.

I have an old CD with some Yarmouth Directories on it - looking at the 1830 Pigotts, there is an Ann King, Baker, living in Gaol Street Yarmouth.

Also a newspaper entry from the Norfolk Chronicle, dated 22 April, 1820, gives a report of a burglary at the premises of Samuel King, Gaol Street.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the reply. All this help has been truly wonderful and the finds so unexpected.

I am not sure about Samuel being the son of Samuel and Ann due to the six year age discrepancy and also the fact a Samuel born c1772 was buried in Yarmouth in 1827. However it could well be the case so I need to keep digging.

And in fact thanks to amondg telling me here about the Assembly files at Norfolk RO, I have found the following entry:

CatalogueRef   Y/C 19/37
Title   Assembly files
Date   1790-1795

229-244. Petitions for freedom of Philip Proctor apprentice of Francis Seaman and his widow, dated 13 Feb 1795, William Thorndick apprentice of Jacob Preston shipwright, William Mayes apprentice of Benjamin Lane grocer, Henry Glasspoole apprentice of Bernard Bowles ironmonger, Samuel son of Samuel King baker, with baptism certificate, William son of John Story, Abraham son of Jacob Preston deceased, dated 13 Feb 1795 and with baptism certificate, Robert son of John Quinton dated 12 Feb 1795, Henry son of Henry Hastings, dated 9 Feb 1796, Thomas son of John Lancaster deceased, dated 5 Feb 1795, John son of Daniel Gillings, John son of John Crowfoot, Pickering son of William Watson (noted 'The Father is a Breeches-maker lately lived at Yarmouth but now a Below (?at Belaugh)', with baptism certificate (all granted).

So amazingly it appears if I look at this file it will have my Samuel's baptism entry with his petition and prove exactly who his was. I just need to have a look at the file in the Norfolk Record Office!

I really am so pleased about this so thanks all again.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
I looked through all 348 pages of Norfolk marriage license bonds for 1771 but could not find the bond for Samuel King and Ann Belson's marriage either. The men all have occupations on these documents too so what a shame!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 May 16 00:42 BST (UK) »
So the photocopy of Great Yarmouth Assembly file Y/C 19/37/233-234 at Norfolk Record Office has now arrived.

This is the document quoted above which I stated included his baptism certificate and so would prove who Samuel was.

It shows that my Samuel King was indeed the son of Samuel King and Ann Belson who were married in Yarmouth in 1771. The images are uploaded here.

My Samuel King who married Rose Bower Soanes was therefore baptised on 19 January 1772 at Yarmouth.

I really can't believe that thanks to rootschat a twenty year block has been lifted, so thank you so much everyone.

The 1812 will of Samuel King, brazier and tinman of Beccles, shows he was indeed the other Samuel King also a son of Samuel baptised in Yarmouth in 1772. He married Sarah Brightly in Yarmouth in 1803 and had a daughter Charlotte, but was buried in Beccles.

The Samuel King aged 55 (so born c1771-1772) who was buried in Yarmouth in 1827 despite the birth age is of currently unknown parentage. He is however presumably the Samuel who married Susanna Whiting\Whitting\Whetton\Whitman and had children baptised in Yarmouth from 1800 to 1815 is unknown. I can't find their marriage so I assume he was not born in Yarmouth and perhaps married outside the town.

On Samuel's petition to become a freeman it states that his namesake father Samuel King was admitted a freeman on 22 March 1764. Does anyone please know how to trace this document to see if it tells me anything about the family beyond this?

Thanks again for all your help.