Author Topic: Medal ribbon for "Matron Grace Carter"  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Re: Medal ribbon for "Matron Grace Carter"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
Ken , it was the ribbon, worn without its medal, I am curious about not the medal & ribbon combination worn on the right by all the senior nursing staff, as a registered nurse at an earlier age I knew what that was (I posses similar). Quayle's ribbon of the Royal Red Cross I recognised, but not the ribbon worn on the left by Matron.

Are we agreed that, accuracy of the portrayal notwithstanding, that the medal ribbon worn on the left, and given that I believe Matron Carter indicated that she had lived in India and we have the evidence of a relationship with the Indian Sergeant, is that of the India General Service medal?

Acknowledging Ady's observation about "Pip, Squeak and Alfred", am I correct to believe that both Quayle and Carter would have been entitled to wear those medals once issued?

Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
I was answering this part of your original post -  but what is teh medal that Matron Carter wears?

I believe nurses could be awarded all WW1 medals and awards apart from the Mons Clasp and Silver War Badge. Here is the NAs guide to WW1 medals - http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

I believe when the Western Front Association rescued the WW1 cards that ended up on Ancestry, The ones for nurses and the navy went elsewhere. So you need to use the NA's downloads.

From Ancestry "The women’s records currently held at the Imperial War Museum, as well as the Military Medal collection and Indian Army cards, are not presently included in this database."

Nurses received the two Boer War medals, but the Queens South Africa medal was without clasps. Someone on the British Medal Forum will know about the other two mentioned - Ashanti and IGSM (1895) or you can look on Ancestry.

Ken

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 April 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
All nurses, both trained and untrained could qualify for the Silver War Badge and the rolls name several hundred who did so.

Two women were awarded the IGSM 1895 with Clasp Punjab Frontier 1897-8, one a member of the Indian Army Nursing Service and the other a civil hospital nurse, and one woman, a children's nurse in a British officer's family, was awarded the IGSM 1895 with Clasps Punjab Frontier 1897-8 and Samana 1897.

And going back to Misses Carter and Quayle, they would have received either the 1914 or 1915 Star depending on when they arrived in France.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 May 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I'm not sure what period of the war this was set. The 1914 star was instituted by special order 350 in Nov 1917. So presumably before that date as no one has any WW1 ribbons.

The 1914/15 star was instituted in Dec 1918.

Although the ribbons were issued during the war the medals were not given until after the war, 1920 I believe.

There was also a clasp for the 1914 star given to those who served within range of enemy Mobile artillery. I assume that the hospital was in the rear out of range of such.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 May 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
All nurses, both trained and untrained could qualify for the Silver War Badge

Thanks for this.

Regarding 1914 Star ribbons, the medal roll for Regulars of the Liverpool Regiment was not compiled until September 1918, so it is unlikely they received the two pieces of ribbon for the uniform before war's end.

The Liverpool Scottish by contrast compiled the 1914 Star roll in March 1918, allowing you would think enough time for both the tunic ribbons and medal to be delivered by the end of the war. But my great uncle's record has a receipt for the medal dated April 1921. As he was killed in action (in 1916), and the medal did not go to his next of kin, but someone specified in his will, 'special cases' may have been set aside until they had processed delivery to the living.

Ken

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 May 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
The 1914 Star medal roll for nurses was compiled in August 1918, but no ribbons issued until after the end of the war, though it's not unusual to see photos of nurses wearing the ribbon while still in France, though some of those were serving until 1920.  And the first date I can see in the nurses' SWB Roll is 5th October 1916, though because of the multitude of different units it's a bit piecemeal.

There's been some interesting research going on recently, and yet to be published, which concludes that although a handful of nurses 'qualified' for the Clasp to the 1914 Star these were later found 'ineligible' - for no good reason it seems.  They were invariably on early ambulance trains which came under enemy fire. Not rare to see Clasps with nurses' medal groups of course,  and it's an area which is much discussed and disagreed with.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 May 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
Moderator:
I'm not able to change the title to include "completed" and the tick mark doesn't appear to mean anything to people. My question has been answered, and for that I am grateful, but the discussion is drifting of topic - time to move this one into the completed file.

I was interested because I count amongst four generations of nurses in my family, five in total, three of us male and the eldest a VAD in the very war we have been discussing. Nurses being recognized for their part in the war effort matters and I now know that I need to let a cousin know that she needs to investigate Great Aunt Win's medal entitlement.

Again, many thanks to people for answering my question(s).

Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,