Author Topic: Looking for Mary Violet  (Read 1002 times)

Offline ospan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Mary Violet
« on: Wednesday 27 April 16 04:08 BST (UK) »
 . Mary was married to Harold James Gare in 1934 in Hamilton 1934?
divorced 1..Nov..1957 :  It appears that she left N.Z. on the Wanganella on the 28th Oct. 1960 for Sydney.  From then on  I can find no trace of her. help needed

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
POSSIBLE living person quest
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ospan,

Welcome, you have been a member for a while  :)

From NZ bdm online I can see that Harold James GARE's death is registered there. (NZ #1994/39121) and his birth date is indexed there as 13 May 1914.

So given that it likely his bride is younger than him, it is possible that she is still alive.    You should consider editing your post to remove her name until you can confirm she is no longer living.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=142443.0
and
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Violet
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 06:20 BST (UK) »
A long shot...Could this be your Mary?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZX-758M
Mary Violet Rees-lloyd. Birth: 1 Jun 1916. Death: May 1998 - Trafford, Cheshire, England

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
If Mary was married in 1934, it's likely she'd be 100 or more by now.

People are living longer these days, but....

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
I do not know NZ marriage law, but I do know that even in the 1930s in NSW marriageable age for a female was 12 and a male was 14.    1934 - 12 = 1922.      2016 - 1922 = 94.   

As an aside, at 12 and 14 they were still legally 'infants', 'minors' as they had not yet reached their majority, and therefore they were not yet legally able to give their own consent.  They needed consent from a responsible adult.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/interesting-certificates.aspx 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this thread can be merged with the new one.

JM

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
I'm sure your lady has long passed - as many have said - married in 1934  would rarely, if ever equate to being alive today.

Difficulty of finding the death of Mary Violet could be the likelihood that she remarried. Do you know if  she had any children? Could she have settled with them in Australia?

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 03:59 BST (UK) »
On the Ryerson Index of Death Notices (https://www.ryersonindex.org) you can search by just first name(s) without needing a surname. I've found this quite helpful in finding some remarriages and most useful where you have a unique middle name or names. Although "Mary Violet" will likely come up with a large number hits. Sometimes the index might give an age or "formerly of" which can help narrow down the list for further checking. (My Mother just loves when I give her long lists to go check in the library.  ;D)

Re the age, given most states, if not all, grant general public access to a marriage registration in 1934, even the governments' seem to consider privacy considerations to reduce over that time.

Good luck, Craig
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)