Author Topic: Silver Medallion Identification please  (Read 2672 times)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Silver Medallion Identification please
« on: Wednesday 27 April 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have inherited a silver medallion.  Can anyone help me identify what the front of the medallion signifies please?

The reverse of the medallion has the capital letters R.P  an Anchor, a lion and the letter O

Thank you
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Medallion Identification please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
The reverse of the medallion has the capital letters R.P  an Anchor, a lion and the letter O

Thank you

These are the Hallmarks, RP is Robert Pringle & Sons, the Anchor is for Birmingham, and the O is a date letter, the date depends on the shape, the lion means it is Sterling Silver see http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
The shield has no significance. These items were produced in quantity for issue to sports teams and the like. I guess initials could be engraved in the shield, but all my many examples are blank but some have inscriptions added locally on the reverse. These belonged to my father. One was issued to his victorious house football team in 1935 and later ones related to winners in local football leagues etc.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your comments.   

I believe the O letter on the reverse might be 1913 which I need to confirm.  My late father played in many golf tournaments but this date would be too early for him.

Ill have to check the O letter to confirm the year to see which member of my family this belonged to.

I was interested to hear that the medallions were issued as sports awards Imber. 

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
The date of the assay mark would be the earliest date that it could be attributed to anyone, it could be much later if the medallion had been kept in storage for any length of time.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY