Author Topic: Marriage Search - Hugh McKay/Annie McLean  (Read 2034 times)

Offline MrX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Search - Hugh McKay/Annie McLean
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
In 1881 they are McKey living in Barrow. 

Hugh 32 b Scotland
Annie  29 b Scotland
Hugh  7 b Manchester
Thomas  5 b Manchester
RG11 Piece 4291 Folio 67 Page 35

I think this is just far too much of a coincidence - I think this is the information I could be looking for and I just wonder if the surname of McKay took a change of spelling down the generations.

The same thing happened on my mother's side with her father as his surname got lost down the years but came around again but spelt differently.

I am going to take a punt that this is the Hugh I am looking for and the reason I couldn't find him or Annie was due to a simple misspell of the surname, due to the fact as I say the surname took a name change from Martin down. It is also possible his name was spelt wrongly as well by whomever constructed the record originally.

Offline MrX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
No problem at all - funnily enough I have just been looking at the 1891 entry which is shown as Cumberland so I am going to ask the moderator to leave this post where it is.

Annie was a widow in 1891

Thanks so much CaroleW, you have been a great deal of help to me here - I am sorry for repeating myself but I think this is too much of a coincidence so I am going to say this is the information I am looking for.

I will add this information to my family tree. Thanks so much.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
I have just trawled through all deaths for christian name Hugh in both Lancashire and Cumberland between 1881-1891 but found nothing that resembles his surname and age.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MrX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
I have just trawled through all deaths for christian name Hugh in both Lancashire and Cumberland between 1881-1891 but found nothing that resembles his surname and age.

Thanks for looking CaroleW - I believe I have found Martin, with his parish information as well. I just wonder, do the parish records actually give information about the parents?

I think trying to find Martin's parents is going to prove difficult but I will keep going.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
By parish records do you mean his baptismal or marriage records?

In either case I think you are asking if they would show additional info about his parents to help you find out more about their ancestry.

If they married in Scotland the marriage cert would show both sets of parents names plus mothers maiden name - how we all wish English marriage records did that!!

English marriage certs just show fathers name and occupation

English baptisms just show both parents names, fathers occupation and address.  Catholic baptisms often show mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MrX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
By parish records do you mean his baptismal or marriage records?

In either case I think you are asking if they would show additional info about his parents to help you find out more about their ancestry.

If they married in Scotland the marriage cert would show both sets of parents names plus mothers maiden name - how we all wish English marriage records did that!!

English marriage certs just show fathers name and occupation

English baptisms just show both parents names, fathers occupation and address.  Catholic baptisms often show mothers maiden name

I was hoping the parish records might show information about the parents, which might help with the ancestry search but unfortunately that won't be the case - I think I need to concede that Hugh and Annie is as far back as it is going to go because without information about Hugh and Annie, I can't go back further as that search would be based simply on guess work, sadly, but I've done well to get back as far as I have. Thanks for all your help, CaroleW and everyone :)