Author Topic: This comes from Arbroath, Angus - can anyone help me?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
This comes from Arbroath, Angus - can anyone help me?
« on: Thursday 28 April 16 00:20 BST (UK) »
 :D  In about 2 weeks my daughter & I are going to Shetland & then flying into Aberdeen & will proceed down the coast.  We are stopping in Arbroath.  Most of my relatives moved from the area years in the 1800's, but we are interested in this gravestone.  Does anyone know WHERE in Arbroath, Angus , it might be?
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This comes from Arbroath, Angus - can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
at a guess try the cemetary on the forfar road just west of town - there is also a cemetary at the Arbroath abbey, but by google your picture looks less likely there.
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Funny as I thought it was the Abby one, but will try the other & then if we can't spot it go to the Abby.  This will be my first trip to Scotland & my daughter will be driving us around - on the wrong side of the roads.  She is from Canada too so not sure how well she will do. ;D
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 16 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lauraine,

Struggling to read........can you post the details (as much as you know) about the person(s) you are interested in please?

Names/dates/maiden names/kids etc........which will give us a better idea & a likely chance of others connected to your tree recognising names too who may be able to help.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 16 02:19 BST (UK) »
Most of the Herd/Hird's moved to Canada tho one returned to Scotland to marry his sweetheart & then returned.  He was my G. Grandfather, David Thomson Herd/Hird.  He married a Jessica Nicol  who was living in Arbroath.  She is the daughter of Alexander Webster Nicol & Isabel Shand.  My GG Grandfather was William Duncan Herd b. 1825 in Fife & married Mary Croll b. 1824 in Farnell - her dad was a forester or labourer for the Carnegie Estate.

My 3x Great Grandfather was Archibald Herd/Hird who lived in Carnoustie & b.1800 in Kincaple m to an Elizabeth Duncan b. 1776  - have been unable to find their marriage document (have tried Scotland's Peoples)  She was 15 years older than he was so probably a marriage of convenience & his Will does not show them being that close. ???

My 4x great grandfather was Archibald "David" Herd b 1765 who married a Margaret Hardie b 1776 in 1796 in Forgan, Fife.

Note:  We know where Archibald Herd/Hirid & wife are buried at Invergowrie & plan on going there to see if the stone for her is still standing.  We have a transcript of the site as well.  Have all the children for the couples too.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 16 03:09 BST (UK) »
"my daughter will be driving us around - on the wrong side of the road"

If you have a choice and want to pay a bit extra hire an automatic car. Manual Transmission (or stick shift in the language south of the Canadian Border) are just that much more difficult to get used to. What I do when driving on the CORRECT SIDE of the road is in the morning I always WALK to the edge of the hotel parking lot and study the traffic for a few minutes before getting into my rental car. Then I can drive to the left or to the right according to where I want to go. It seems that Canada was the only country to decide to travel on the wrong side of the road from what the Mother Country was driving.   

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 16 04:01 BST (UK) »
We have already rented  a car & it is of course an automatic.  Although my daughter learned to drive a stick shift with my first car, we all have automatics now.  Thank you for the tip though.  All people drive on the right side of the road in Canada & the U.S. & believe they also drive on the right side in France.   ;D

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 16 07:00 BST (UK) »
Have a look at deceasedonline.com, they have information on Arbroath burials, or contact Angus Council, who may be able to provide details and who owns the lair (the grave).
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
Fairly sure it's not the Abbey http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2997232

Could be the Eastern, which is on the main A92 north towards Montrose and Aberdeen http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/335184

or the Western, which is on the A933 towards Brechin and Forfar
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/65656

www.deceasedonline.com will tell you the answer.

As for driving on the left, I understand that from Roman times until Napoleon Bonaparte came on the scene and decided to change things, it was the norm to drive on the left, because the coachman normally sat on the right-hand side of the coach because more people are right-handed than left-handed and would hold their whip in their right hand, so it made sense to pass right ride to right side. So the left side is really the right side and all you folk who drive on the right side are on the wrong side  ;)

It's actually no big deal. I've driven both right-hand and left-hand manual drive cars and left-hand automatic cars in various parts of Europe and North America. Just think carefully when you drive off - say out loud 'drive on the left' as you start the car, and take extra care when turning right.

And whatever you do, don't even think about considering to attempt to drive in Edinburgh. There are an awful lot of one-way streets and streets with one end closed off. It's very difficult to get moving, almost impossible to stop if you do get moving, and very expensive to park. There is an excellent bus service. Dump the car and use the buses.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.