Author Topic: This comes from Arbroath, Angus - can anyone help me?  (Read 4314 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: This comes from Arbroath, Angus - can anyone help me?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 April 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
According to deceasedonline Emily Donaldson Hird ( who appears on the stone) is buried in the western cemetery. Easiest way to find the entry is to put in just Hird and 1941 as date of death as Emily is mistranscribed. Date of death 8th August 1941 ( death notice in Arbroath Herald).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lauraine,
You've got William Duncan Hird born in Fife? If his father was Archibald was this not his birth:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJV-125

It's just on the 1871 census (transcription ONLY) William's place of birth is given as Lochee, Forfarshire which was part of Liff and Benvie parish?
Jen

PS when in Arbroath you MUST eat smokies straight from the smoke house....

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 16 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you who have replied.  Okay will try to find the gravesite on-line so we should be able to find it without too many problems.  We do NOT plan on driving in Edinburgh but to take the bus about  - believe we are spending a couple of nights there & going from Edinburgh by either bus or train back to Glasgow where we also plan to take the bus about.  My daughter has found good hotels which are handy to the bus stops.

We are spending the lst 6 days in Shetland visiting with my cousin & hope we get to see lots of various things;  That is where my G G. Gradfather Laurence Smith came from. as well as his Grandfather.   My GGGG Grandfather Herd came from ? but married in Forgan.  Believe he came from Fife.  Knoe the most of the ancestors  came to Canada or New Zealand & perhaps Australia with one lot going to South Africa.   This family did chose a wide range of places.

Thank you so much for replying to each & every one of you.   :D :D
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
HERD, David
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 03:20 GMT (UK) »
A few years back my cousin visited Arbroath and was taken to this gravesite where he took a photo:

http://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/6/6b/Herd-240.jpg

He sent the photo to me, but unfortunately cannot read what it says.  Although we were in Arbroath this past May did not manage to get to this graveyard tho we did get to see David's son Archibald grave in Invergowrie Scotland and took pictures of the stone.

Is there anyone on the site who could go and copy down what the gravestone says for me in Arbroath?  I live in Canada and would really appreciate it
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline MissJP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I can do this for you, which cemetery is it in?

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 March 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
I am not sure which cemetery it is in but don't think it is the oldest one.  It may be one on the outskirts of Arbroath??  Unsure.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
It's already been posted here that Emily Donaldson Hird who is on the gravestone was buried (according to deceasedonline) in Western Cemetery so presumably this is where the gravestone is??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Have been investigating Emily Donaldson Hird  who died in 1941 - she was a spinster born 20/8/1869 Dunnichen, Angus to Alexander Hird and Elizabeth Donaldson (married 3/12/1861 Dunnichen).

Alexander Hird was born 1840 Dunnichen, son of George Hird and Elizabeth Weir (married 15/6/1832 Dunnichen).

George Hird shown on census as born circa 1799 Forfar and familysearch shows George Hird b.16/100/1798 Forfar, Angus, son of George Hird and Mary Laurence (married 29/10/1797 Dunnichen).

1841 census shows George senior bc.1773 Angus and that's as far as I can go.

It doesn't sound like this gravestone relates to your particular branch of the Hird family.

Findagrave lists 10 Hird's buried in Western Cemetery, Arbroath including aforementioned Emily Donaldson Hird whose name is clearly read on your photo.   As detailed above, her line goes back to a George Hird married to a Mary Laurence in 1797 Dunnichen.  All of the 10 Hird listings on findagrave are descended from this couple.

It certainly looks like the gravestone is in Western Cemetery (viewing other photos online the grounds look the same) but the gravestone itself does not appear to relate to your particular family line.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Can see that they are probably not related to my family.  This branch of the Hird/Herd's seemed to emigrate to either New Zealand or Canada.  My group came to Canada in 1871-1872 with my great grandfather returning to Scotland to marry his sweetheart in Arbroath.  After the marriage they returned to Canada.  I have records for the New Zealand lot as well.  This lot is probably cousins but cannot connect them readily.  Appreciate your help and will forward this information to my cousin who probably thinks they was a relationship.  I did get pictures for Archibald Hird wife's gravesite - he is also buried in same grave but not identified on the stone.  They are buried in Invergowrie, Scotland.

I could not readily read the stone as it was submitted to me.  My eyes are getting on in years so appreciate all who helped out.