Author Topic: William and Mary Fuller, Richmond, Surrey  (Read 2947 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Mary Fuller, Richmond, Surrey
« on: Thursday 28 April 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me discover the maiden name of my 3 gr grandmother, Mary, who was married to William Fuller. Going by the 1841 census she was born abt 1791 and was not born in that county. The 1851 Census said she was born in Staffordshire. Also in the 1851 Census is a Thomas Richardson so I have tried to connect those two, but with no luck. 1861 Census says she was born at Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire.

She died in 1861. Her husband, William Fuller was born 1785 and died 1872 and both are buried in St John the Baptist Church, Old Malden, Kingston, Surrey, along with his parents.

Many family trees in Ancestry suggest her maiden name was Browning (who was also married to a William Fuller) however I have been assured by members of this family that this particular William Fuller and Mary Browning had no children. The family has documents proving this.

Perhaps Mary's maiden name was 'Browning'. If I order FNL Film Number 547369, would that give me her parents name, or more particularly, would it tell me if it is the correct William Fuller? Mary Browning and William Fuller were married in 1806 at St Dunstans of the West, London.

My William and Mary had 9 children. Their first child, also William, was born in 1808.
cheers
Jill

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Mary Fuller, Richmond, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

do you know where the 1st child was baptised?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
The St Dunstan in the West marriage say that William is of the parish (bachelor) and Mary Browning of the parish of St Georges, Bloomsbury (spinster)
In the presence of Wm Nottage, Eliza Crosley, Sarah Browning Fuller and Louisa Nottidge
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Fathers names aren't routinely shown until 1837, before that they may have acted as a witness and you recognise the name

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
All children were baptised at St Mary Magdalene, Richmond, Surrey, UK

This is what the Ancestry contact said:

"FromAncestry family tree - My William Fuller 1756-1848 is buried in Tooting Graveney, Surrey and he was a partner in Child's Bank. He married Mary Browning on 21 June 1806 at St Dunstan in the West. She was my 5G aunt. He was baptized 16 Jan 1757 son of William and Sarah Fuller. I know this to be the William Fuller who married Mary Browning in 1806 and Sarah Browning Fuller is his sister. She never married. I have all their wills and other documentation and am quite certain of the data I have. My William Fuller and Sarah Browning were first cousins. The other persons named as witnesses in their marriage are also relations of Mary Browning, who is the daughter of John Browning and Louisa Barton. William Fuller and Mary Browning did not have any children and left their estates to the children of Augusta Browning who was Mary's sister.
Hope this helps, but I don't think your William married my Mary Browning. My Brownings lived around Bermondsey, Southwark at the time of the marriage of Mary."

cheers
Jill

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
Looking at the burial register, aged 77 in 1861, and the 1851 census aged 66, her birth may have been around 1784/1785/1786.

Ages were round down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census, so noted aged 50, she could have been 54 which would mean a birth around 1787

The parish registers for Abbots Bromley are online, there are 43 Mary's baptised between 1780 and 1790, none were Browning or Richardson

I also had a look at the 1851 and used Abbots Bromley as a keyword to see who else had left the area and moved this far south, the names of interest are Hannah Gaunt in Marylebone, William Hart in Stepney, John Heshaw in St George Hanover Square and Rupert Wigan in Lambeth.

Of course there may no connection whatsover with these people, but it is unusual to find someone moving so far at that time, Staffordshire to Surrey, without a connection

Chandler-Chelsea

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Mary's death announcement confirms her age in June 1861 as 77. https://goo.gl/ZI32Ky

If that's right she must have been born in 1783/4.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Just wondering what the connection is between Mary from Abbots Bromley and the names you gave as having left the area. Do you think one of these could be related?

cheers
Jill

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
It is always a possibility and with so few to check definitely worthwhile. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk