Author Topic: Cornelius James Summerfield Tunbridge Wells,Kent photographer  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius James Summerfield Tunbridge Wells,Kent photographer
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for your great information.

To Rosie 17......You noted in your reply the death of Vera Kathleen Summerfield in "1886" .The 1911 census gave her birth as 1906. Did you mean to say she died in "1986" ? Please clarify.

Regarding death of Emily E. Summerfield reported by rosie 17 for 1955. Is there a probate record for her that might indicate if her husband Cornelius was still living at the time of her death?

It seems that the Summerfield family, based on Emily above ,was still living in Tunbridge Wells in the 1950's. Its strange that a death record for Cornelius has not been located so far.

Great work ........I appreciate all of your efforts in replying to my inquiry. If any of you find out more please post again.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
To Rosie 17......You noted in your reply the death of Vera Kathleen Summerfield in "1886" .The 1911 census gave her birth as 1906. Did you mean to say she died in "1986" ? Please clarify.

The death given by Rosie 17 should be 1996. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 April 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Regarding death of Emily E. Summerfield reported by rosie 17 for 1955. Is there a probate record for her that might indicate if her husband Cornelius was still living at the time of her death?

You can check for yourself whether there was a probate record.   
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Have you tried searching for her in 1939 as that should state whether she is married or widowed

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
to Rosie 99

I checked but did not find a probate for Emily. I did find however that she was buried in the Tunbridge Wells Borough Cemetery June 12,1955.

Regarding death of Vera Kathleen Summerfield  I found she was cremated at the K & S Crematorium in Tunbridge Wells May 13,"1996" so that straightens out her actual year of death.

I did find (thanks to everyone's replies about his children) all of their marriage,spouse and death records so I have all I need to known now about his children.

So I think all I need now is any information about  Cornelius after the 1926 K&S article that referred to of him in Tunbridge Wells at the Caxton Studios in Mount Sion. I am now going to research this studio to see what I find out but I welcome anyones input about his whereabouts after 1926 and his death.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for her in 1939 as that should state whether she is married or widowed

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 29 June 1928:

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much SCOOP.......What an excellent find!!! and what a surprizing development in the lives of this family. I shall now look for information about him during his employment with Mr W.A. Winter a haulage contractor of Derby. Perhaps Cornelius remained in the Derby area? I shall see.

I did not find his wife in the 1930 T.Wells directory,but given the above article she would not be listed in any directories as she would not be a property owner. She must have lived as a lodger/visitor  somewhere-perhaps with other relatives.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 16 17:59 BST (UK) »

The death given by Rosie 17 should be 1996.

Thanks Rosie  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
I did not find his wife in the 1930 T.Wells directory,but given the above article she would not be listed in any directories as she would not be a property owner.

I have just looked and she is on the 1939 register in T Wells - the free search shows she is with Laurence H & 2 others